An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 28th August 2004
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Whitby Town1L Gildea (45)
Hyde United1Johnson (83)

Attendance: 289

Whitby Town: Escritt, Obern, Lynch, Williams, Nicholson, Bishop, Farthing, Gildea(A), Ormerod, Robinson, Gildea(L). Subs: Jackson, Yale, Linighan

Hyde United: Tim Mullock, Lee Brough (Craig Buckley), Nicky Hill, Paul Jones, John Gaynor, John O'Kane, Wayne Dean (Andy Waine), Chris Lynch, Carl Barrowclough (Neil Tolson), Dale Johnson, Matty McNeil

The injury ravaged Tigers battled bravely at Whitby and fully deserved their point and by the finish were probably unlucky not to come back with all three. Ruled out before the kick-off were Phil Salt (cartiledge) and Steven Clegg (glandular fever) and just 28 minutes into the game Hyde had lost Carl Barrowclough with hamstring trouble and Lee Brough with a foot injury. Other knocks were had in a bruising encounter, but it was never a dirty game

It was always going to be tough at Whitby, but the Tigers showed excellent spirit in adversity. Matty Mc Neil was man-handled all afternoon and given no protection from an ineffective referee, Mr Barber, who to his credit, tried to keep the game flowing, but did not act when it mattered with Hyde feeling that his ineffectiveness had led to some of the injuries.

The re-shaped Tigers held their own in the first half, but conceded a goal right on half-time when Liam Gildea slotted home. It was hard on Hyde, but the Tigers bounced back in the second half and pushed Whitby hard. Neil Tolson, Mc Neil and Dale Johnson had all gone close before Johnson spun in the area and fired past Ben Escritt in the Whitby goal for a deserved equaliser with just seven minutes left.

A grandstand finish ensued with Tolson going close for Hyde, but in the end it was a point won rather than two lost but left Physio Danny Crawford plenty to do before Monday's game.

Man of the match for Hyde was Paul Jones who held the defence together, whilst John Gaynor and a revitalised Craig Buckley ran him close in the second half as Hyde took control.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.