An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 2nd April 2005
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Hyde United2Adams (41), Mangan (86)
Farsley Celtic4Knowles (11), Iqbal (45), Bernard (46, 67)

Attendance: 437

Hyde United: Tim Mullock, John Gaynor, Nicky Hill, Lincoln Adams, Alex Mortimer, John O'Kane, Gerry Harrison (Andrew Mangan), Phil Salt (Neil Tolson), Wayne Dean, Dale Johnson, Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Paul Jones.

Farsley Celtic: Cuss, McDaid, Serrant, Shields, Stabb, Dyson, Knowles, Iqbal, Bernard, Duxbury, Bett. Subs: Rickers, Pemberton, Stamer.

Hyde received the Team of the Month award before the kick-off and not for the first time it proved to be the kiss of death in this top of the league encounter. After their heroics during the week, Hyde never got into their stride against a confident Farsley, who by the end, were comfortable winners and had completed a double over the Tigers. They ended Hyde’s unbeaten 15-month home run and were the last team to beat them way back in January.

On a gloriously sunny afternoon, Alex Mortimer had an early chance for Hyde before James Knowles curled a shot past Mullock on eleven minutes to give the visitors the lead. Hyde began to get their game together and after a couple more near misses, Lincoln Adams equalised just before half time from a Phil Salt free kick. Hyde’s joy was short-lived, however, as right on the whistle Amjad Iqbal put the visitors back in front after Mullock missed a cross.

The Tigers introduced Andrew Mangan for the second half to replace Gerry Harrison who had to go to hospital with concussion but Hyde conceded again with seconds of the restart as Mullock and John O’Kane left the ball for each other and allowed the impressive Curtis Bernard to nip in and score. Two dreadful goals to concede in a minute either side of the interval.

Hyde struggled to find the rhythm of recent games and could not sustain consistent pressure on the visitors’ defence. As the game became more scrappy, Iqbal was booked for a late ugly challenge on John Gaynor, but as Hyde pushed forward, Farsley burst down the left and Bernard was again on hand to add the final touch. Mangan pulled a goal back late on, his first for the club, but it was too little too late and although Neil Tolson had a late chance, it was Farsley who took the honours in what was in all honesty a pretty poor game.

The jinx of the Award had struck again but with the future of Spennymoor still in the balance, there will still be many more twists and turns before the season is out.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2021. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.