An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 15th January 2005
F.A. Trophy 3rd Round

Hyde United3Johnson (32), McNeil (49), Milligan (61 pen)
Whitby Town3Nicholson (1, 19, 72)

Attendance: 402

Hyde United: Tim Mullock, Chris Lynch, Jamie Milligan, John Gaynor, Craig Buckley, John O'Kane, Wayne Dean (Ged Kielty), Phil Salt, Neil Tolson (Kieran Delaney), Dale Johnson, Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Tony Ellis, Andy Waine, Paul Jones.

Whitby Town: Campbell (D), Atkinson, Williams, Farthing, Linighan, Nicholson, Ormerod, Scaife, Robinson, Gill, Bishop. Subs: McTiernan, Gildea(A), Gildea(L), Johnson ,Escritt

In a pulsating cup-tie at Ewen Fields, Hyde and Whitby shared a six goal thriller to force a replay at the seaside on Wednesday night. The game ebbed and flowed and both teams had opportunities to seal a victory, but in the end were probably both happy to finish all square.

The start was very similar to the league encounter in November as Hyde gave the visitors a two goal start. The game started sensationally as Whitby took the kick-off with the ball ultimately finding Graeme Williams on the left. His hopeful punt forward into the area evaded everybody. John O'Kane lifted his foot expecting Tim Mullock behind him, but Tim was unsighted as the ball trickled into the net after only 40 seconds. Hyde went straight downfield and as Dale Johnson turned in the area, keeper, David Campbell, pushed him to the floor. A most blatant penalty, but referee Ian Edwards, despite being well placed, ignored the Tiger's claims. That was the start of bizarre performances from the officials who appeared to be working against each other. Mr Edwards' idea of control was to blow his whistle longer and louder each time. It was certainly no way to get respect or control a football game.

Things got worse for the Tigers on 19 minutes as from Nicky Scaife's free kick Scott Nicholson headed a second at the far post across the despairing Mullock. Poor marking in Hyde's makeshift defence hadn't helped and all looked lost at this stage. However Hyde stepped up the pace and Dale Johnson pulled one back on 31 minutes after Wayne Dean's shot had been blocked. Five minutes later Johnson, again, and Matty McNeil had chances to level it for Hyde.

Three minutes later Graham Robinson burst through and was adjudged to have been brought down by last man John Gaynor. The tackle looked a good one, Mr Edwards thought otherwise, although his assistant who was nearer thought not, and Gaynor received a booking for his efforts and it should technically have been red, if a foul after all.

Hyde went immediately onto the offensive at the start of the second half and McNeil scored after just four minutes as he superbly headed home Phil Salt's pinpoint cross. The Tigers continued to pressurize Whitby who were now on the back foot and Milligan skimmed the bar with a curling free kick. After 61 minutes, Neil Tolson, back after injury, but not fully fit, saw his shot deflected off a Whitby hand. Not as clear cut as the first appeal, but Milligan calmly slotted home the spot kick.

It was now Whitby who turned the screw and 11 minutes later Scott Nicholson headed a second after another disputed free kick on the left which left O'Kane with a booking. Both teams had chances to win it by the end, with Dean going close for Hyde with an overhead kick.

Hyde were left with it all to do again, but in the knowledge different officials would be in charge at Whitby.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.