An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Wednesday 29th March 2006
Manchester Premier Cup Final

Hyde United2Adams (40), Tolson (90)
Droylsden1Talbot (25)

Attendance: 578

Hyde United: Mark Crossley, David German, Chris Lynch, Lincoln Adams, Mike Flynn, Nathan Wharton, Danny Caldecott (Paul Jones), Steve Brackenridge, Nicky Clee, Dale Johnson, Neil Tolson. Subs not used: John O'Kane, Wayne Dean, Greg Traynor, Tony Ellis.

Droylsden: Phillips, Williams, Warner, Halford, Ruffer, Morris, Tandy, Lynch, Fearns, Talbot, Denham. Subs: Robinson, Cameron, Brodie, Hall, Fitzpatrick

Hyde grabbed a dramatic last minute winner to retain the Manchester Premier Cup and what a goal it was. Chris Lynch, a tower of strength all evening, broke down the right and squared the ball to Neil Tolson, who swept the ball superbly past Paul Phillips. A goal fit to win any cup-final and who else but super Tolse, who had battled with cramp after playing a full ninety minutes.

It was nothing less than Hyde deserved after matching Droylsden throughout the game. Although the Bloods had more of the play, it was the Tigers who created the more clear cut chances after Robbie Talbot had put Droylsden in front on 25 minutes. Hyde had a strong case for a penalty before that after Dale Johnson was wrestled to the floor and Lynch was only inches wide with a shot which fizzled across the area.

After 40 minutes, Hyde levelled the scores after Johnson found some space in the box and hit the ball goalwards, Phillips could not hold on and Lincoln Adams forced it home. Lincoln had already been in the thick of the action and received a nasty blow to the head, which needed attention.

Hyde became more dominate in the second half and Nicky Clee was only inches over with a rasping drive, but the Tigers could not become complacent as Mark Crossley was forced into a brilliant save to thwart Chris Denham. Crossley handled well all night, but was severely tested by a number of inswinging corners and at times was helped out by Mike Flynn, who had a great game, and Adams.

Steve Waywell brought on Paul Jones to strengthen the back four and on seventy minutes, Nathan Wharton, not fully fit, burst through to see Phillips make a fine save. From the resultant corner, Adams volleyed goalwards, but Phillips produced an even better save.

With the Droylsden back four looking jaded, Hyde mounted a number of attacks in the last few minutes and with just seconds left on the clock, enter Super Tolse. A superb finish and then it was just a matter of holding out for the four minutes of added time.

Despite having a number of players not fully fit, the Tigers had shown true grit and determination and fully deserved the victory.

The Regional Athletics area was a somewhat surreal environment for a final from a spectator point of view, but the playing surface was superb and thanks go to Manchester County FA for organising the event so well.

Played at The North West Regional Athletics Centre, Eastlands, Manchester.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.