An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 20th November 2004
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Hyde United2McNeil (75), Buckley (86)
Whitby Town2Johnson (8), Gildea (14)

Attendance: 371

Hyde United: Tim Mullock, Steven Clegg, Nicky Hill, Andy Waine, Chris Lynch (Craig Buckley), John O'Kane, Carl Barrowclough (Wayne Dean), Phil Salt, John Gaynor, Dale Johnson, Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Tony Ellis.

Whitby Town: Campbell (D), Atkinson, Veart, Farthing, Linighan, Nicholson, Ormerod, Scaife, Johnson, Gildea, Bishop. Subs: McTiernan, Williams, Campbell (P)

Hyde extended their unbeaten league run to sixteen games after a brilliant fightback earned then a point against title contenders, Whitby Town, and with a little more luck in front of goal, it could have been three.

The Tigers found themselves two goals down inside the first fourteen minutes and were without leading scorer, Neil Tolson, Jamie Milligan and Paul Jones, who were all injured. The writing looked on the wall as a big and strong Whitby outfit dominated the early proceedings. But having said that Chris Lynch, John O'Kane and Dale Johnson both all close, when perhaps they should have scored.

The first goal came after just 8 minutes when Nicky Hill and Tim Mullock got into an awful tangle to allow Neil Bishop to side foot home. Things got worse six minutes later as Liam Gildea headed home unchallenged. This was a bit harsh on the Tigers as Johnson has been fouled in midfield beforehand, but they still had time to clear the ball nevertheless.

In the second half, the Tigers stepped up the pace, but the Whitby defence were strong and uncompromising until man of the match by a mile, Matty McNeil lashed home a 'daisy cutter' from 22 yards. Suddenly Hyde started to believe in themselves. Substitute Wayne Dean began to make darting runs on the right and Craig Buckley was introduced to add some impetus in midfield, The Tigers pressed forward and all of a sudden Whitby started to look vulnerable. With just four minutes left, it was Buckley who slotted the ball home to earn the tigers a fully deserved point. It was appropriate Craig should be the man to grab the equaliser to hopefully bring some light relief, after such an traumatic week in his private life, with his father's murder trial starting

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.