An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 19th December 1998
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Whitby Town2Peverell (30), Logan (72 pen)
Hyde United3Band (14), Annan (69), Yeo (76)

Attendance: 429

Whitby Town: Kelly, Williams, Logan, Goodchild, Hudson, Dixon, Waller, Goodrick, Robinson, Toman, Peverell. Subs: Pitman, Borthwick, Chillingsworth.

Hyde United: Jonathan Scargill, Kojoe Taylor, Richard Annan, Gus Wilson, Paul Taylor, Tony Rodwell, Prince Moncrieffe (Lloyd Richardson), Neil Hall, Simon Yeo, Peter Band, Don Page. Subs not used: Darren Washington, Steve Haw.

Whitby started well, forcing four corners in the first five minutes on Hyde's first visit to the Turnbull Ground. A cross from the right got caught by the strong wind and nearly found the bottom corner of Scargill's goal. Hyde then seemed to burst into life when Moncrieffe took on two defenders before clipping his shot inches wide. On 14 minutes, Peter Band chased a long pass and guided a shot past the goalkeeper to put Hyde one-nil up. Whitby hit back though, forcing Scargill to make a brave save with Annan clearing up the loose ball. Whitby then missed a great chance to equalize, shooting over from six yards with only Scargill to beat. Whitby equalized on 30 minutes when Nick Peverell headed home a left wing cross. Paul Taylor and Jon Scargill then had words with each other after they nearly gifted Whitby a second, Taylor gave Scargill a poor backpass which Scargill gave away and Taylor then pulled down the centre-forward but got away with it. The second half started with Moncrieffe chasing a long ball but failing to connect properly when the goalkeeper confronted him. Again Whitby had a good chance to score but this time fired over from 12 yards with just Scargill to beat. Richard Annan put the Tigers in front again when his deflected shot from 20 yards nestled into the bottom corner of the goal on 69 minutes. Hyde's joy was short lived as Whitby were awarded a penalty straight away, supposedly for handball, which had the Hyde players protesting for fully 2 minutes and led to Don Page & Prince Moncrieffe being booked. The penalty was finally taken on 72 minutes with Whitby's number 3 converting. Moncrieffe fed Simon Yeo on 76 minutes who turned a defender before curling a shot into the top left of the Whitby goal from the edge of the box. Whitby then sustained pressure on the Hyde defence but without creating any real chances allowing Hyde to come away with a good victory.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.