An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Wednesday 9th February 2000
F.A. Trophy 4th Round (Replay)

Runcorn3Smith (11, 119), Burke (95)
Hyde United2Aspinall (20), Wilson (96)
(after extra time)

Attendance: 649

Runcorn: Acton, Rose, Ness, Nolan, Burke, Ruffer, Brunskill, Robinson, McNally, Moseley, Smith. Subs: Tomlinson, Carter, McDonald.

Hyde United: Graham Bennett, Gus Wilson, John Foster, Brendan Aspinall, Paul Taylor, Steve Tobin, Martin McDonald (Darren Esdaille), Neil Hall, Simon Yeo, Jody Banim (Stuart Walker), Paul Robertson. Subs not used: Darren McConnell.

Runcorn took the lead inside the first ten minutes here at Canal Street when Mike Smith fired a low shot past unsighted Bennett to put The Linnets one up in the ninth minute. Hyde weren't behind for long though, 11 minutes to be precise as from a Tobin free kick, flicked on at the near post Brendan Aspinall was on hand to head firmly past Acton. Graham Bennett then came into his own with two excellent stops, first he tipped over an 18 yard drive from Moseley and then dived low to his left to push an overhead kick around the post. Early in the second half is was Gus Wilson who went closest for Hyde, his free kick from 45 yards was not collected by Acton who let the ball bounce and then had to scramble backwards to tip over the crossbar. John Foster was the next to try his luck with a low 20 yard shot which Acton held firmly. Runcorn then broke away on the right and crossed but the centre forwards header landed on the wrong side of the far post. A poor back header by Brunskill gave Simon Yeo a great chance to win the tie but he panicked and shot wildly over the top when a little composure would have seen the Tigers celebrating a victory. Extra Time saw the Tigers fall behind again, a goalmouth scramble led to Garry Burke knocking home from close range in the ninety-fifth minute. Amazingly Hyde were level again forty seconds later, Gus Wilson, not having scored in 274 previous game for Hyde collected the ball 30 yards out on the left, took one touch then it was a case of head down & whack. Acton stood in disbelief as the ball flew in to the top corner via the post and many Hyde fans had to look twice just to make sure it was Wilson and not an illusion. Acton then made a great save low to his left to deny Robertson who shot from 40 yards. In the dying
seconds of the first period another scramble in the Hyde goal area almost cost The Reds but it was stopped on the line and cleared. Chances were few and far between in the second period and it looked as though the game was heading for penalties until the 119th minute when Mike Smith launched the ball high over Bennett's head from thirty yards and into the top corner to give Runcorn a fifth round tie with Heybridge Swifts.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.