An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 27th December 1999
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Hyde United1Hall (14)
Stalybridge Celtic0

Attendance: 1772

Hyde United: Graham Bennett, Gus Wilson, Paul Robertson (Jody Banim), Brendan Aspinall, Paul Taylor, Peter Band, Steve Tobin, Neil Hall, Simon Yeo, Rob Hulse, Darren Esdaille. Subs not used: Scott Brenchley, Darren McConnell.

Stalybridge Celtic: Ingham, Ward, Scott, Ogley, Johnston, Bauress, Pickford, Parr, Steele, Jones, Filson. Subs: Mason for Steele, Sullivan for Bauress, Stratford for Jones.

The Tigers won the last derby game of the millennium with a deserved victory over a Celtic side which had good possession but never created a good chance. Indeed, Celtic's best effort of the match came inside the first minute when they won a corner which was headed just wide. Simon Yeo then outpaced Andy Scott at the other end of the pitch but Celtic keeper Gary Ingham pounced at his feet to save. On 14 minutes Ingham could do nothing as Peter Band played through Neil Hall to score his first goal for the club in his 71st game for the club. Soon after it was Rob Hulse that got clear but his powerful drive was excellently tipped round the post by Ingham. Hyde continued to get behind the Celtic defence and Yeo clipped a shot over the top from wide on the left before debutant Paul Robertson rattled the crossbar with a superb free kick from the edge of the box. On the stroke of Half-time Robertson swung in a cross which Band glanced just past the near post. The second half was held up for a long time when Celtic's Jones sustained a serious leg injury whilst clearing the ball and was subsequently stretchered off. Hulse and Yeo combined for Hyde but Yeo's curling shot drifted past the far post with Ingham beaten. Midfields dominated most of the second half but Celtic could not break down the Hyde defence led superbly by Gus Wilson. Indeed it was only in injury time that Celtic created any further efforts when Pickford shot over from a free kick and they forced a couple of corners which were defended adequately by Hyde. After 14 minutes and 20 seconds of injury time the Tigers had won their last game this century.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2024. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.