An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 30th October 1999
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Blyth Spartans3Blower (7), Di Lella (10), Stewart (11)
Hyde United4Tobin (41), Hulse (57, 71, 80)

Attendance: 412

Blyth Spartans: Burke, Farrey, Hilton, Garrett, Dixon, Lumsden, Di Lella, Pitt, Blower, Stewart, Evans. Subs: Hogg, Attwell, Leighton.

Hyde United: Graham Bennett, John Foster, Darren Lonergan, Brendan Aspinall, Gus Wilson, Peter Band, Steve Tobin, Neil Hall, Simon Yeo, Rob Hulse, Stuart Walker (Willie Griffiths). Subs not used: Jody Banim, Matty Taylor.

Blyth stunned The Tigers by going 3-0 up inside eleven minutes at Croft park today. An error by Band on 7 minutes followed by confusion in the Hyde defence led to Blower slotting the first past the helpless Bennett. The second goal came on ten minutes, Foster lost the ball in the Blyth half and the home side broke away with Stewart forcing a save from Bennett but no-one could stop Gustavo Di Lella from tapping home the rebound. Stewart then scored a great goal thirty seconds later when he shot over Bennett from the edge of the box. The strong wind behind The Spartans was helping the home team and they almost scored a fourth when Di Lella pulled the ball wide after getting through. Hyde scored with their first shot on 42 minutes when Steve Tobin lashed home a shot into the top corner from 25 yards. It could have been 3-2 at half time but Terry Burke made a terrific save from Neil Hall's curling shot just before the interval. Rob Hulse headed a wind assisted free kick past Burke and into the far corner on 57 minutes to bring Hyde back into the game and on 71 minutes Yeo laid the ball to Hall whose cross was taken by Griffiths and knocked in on the line by Rob Hulse to level the scores. Griffiths who had his best game for The Tigers made Burke save at his near post following a good little run. The Tigers stole all three points on 80 minutes when Steve Tobin rolled the ball past Burke and Rob Hulse closed down the defender to complete his hat-trick although everyone in the ground, Hyde fans included, thought that the on loan striker had knocked the ball in with his hands. Blyth had one last chance before the end when a curling effort bounced off the crossbar and over. The game ended with an unsavory incident when some Hyde players got involved with Di Lella and a number of Blyth's supporters also spilled onto the pitch to get involved as well.

Hyde won The Sun's Team of the Week for this comeback.

Blyth were fined 500 and Hyde 300 by the F.A. for the mass brawl after the final whistle.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2020. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.