An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 8th October 2016
F.A. Trophy

Colwyn Bay1Turner (61)
Hyde United0

Attendance: 238

Colwyn Bay: Pearson, Denson, Corrigan, Hardwick, Grant, Armstrong, Turner, Booth, Jones, Bakkor, Andrews. Subs: Schofield, Pino, Matthews, Dowling.

Hyde United: Dylan Forth, James Burke, Kyle Brownhill, Matthew Dempsey, Adam M Jones (Ayrton Bevins), David McGurk (Phattaraphol 'Big' Khamsuk), Jamal Branker (James Cadman), Andrew Pearson, Andy Bishop, Adam Thurston, Phil Dean. Subs not used: Pete Boyle, Joe Pugh.

This was a very tight affair, and a draw would have been a fair result, but ultimately Colwy Bay managed to see out the 90 minutes and progress to the next round.

Hyde set up in a 4-2-3-1 against a familiar diamond formation from the Seagulls. The opening 15 minutes were very even with both sides looking to get hold of the ball and play, at a frantic pace. Colwyn Bay looked to play a lot more football on the floor than they did on our league visit a few weeks earlier, and the game was better for it.

The home side forced the first two corners of the game, but Hyde had the chances. An injury to Adam Jones on 20 minutes meant a change with Cadman coming on and Dempsey dropping into the back four. Hyde started to enjoy some good possession with the best chance of the half falling to Andy Bishop on 32 minutes when he met an excellent Kyle Brownhill cross 6 yards out, but failed to keep his shot under the crossbar. A good period of play for Hyde just before half time had them winning five corners, but they failed to force any save out of the Colwyn keeper.

HT 0-0

The second half had the Tigers quickly out of the blocks, moving the ball around and controlling play. On 52 minutes a corner for Hyde was headed against the bar, and and the ball bundled home, but the linesman quickly flagged McGurk offside when there was clearly a Colwyn player standing on the line.

Another injury on 55 minutes forced McGurk off with Aryton Bevins coming on, forcing another reshuffle and Andy Pearson dropped back into centre half, meaning both starting midfielders had now been moved. Colwyn Bay took heart from this and enjoyed their own period of control, with some excellent play through the re-jigged Hyde midfield, and ultimately it was this that allowed them to progress the ball through to the left wing, where an excellent deep cross was pocked home. 1-0 Colwyn bay in the 61st minute.

Following the goal, Colwyn sat back and looked to protect what they had. Hyde looked to push on and enjoyed more of the ball and the chances. A snap shot against the bar which bounced down onto the line on 75 minutes, and an Aryton Begins half volley on 90 minutes which hit the inside of the left hand post, rolling along the line and out for a goal kick.

Four minutes of injury time had Colwyn Bay pinned in their own box, and several half chances for the Tigers, but they were unable to find the net and the referee blew full time on 94 minutes.

FT 1-0 Colwny Bay

An entertaining game to watch, and a pity Hyde were not able to bring Colwyn back to Ewen Fields.

This was much closer than the league meeting 10 weeks ago, and the Tigers looked more comfortable, with some excellent pace and understanding as a team. The performance, when looked at along side the previous three good performances, shows that we are moving in the right direction as a club.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.