An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 31st December 2005
Conference North

Hyde United4Wharton (23, 41 pen), McNeil (87), Clee (90)
Worcester City0

Attendance: 401

Hyde United: Jean-Paul Ndjebayi, Lincoln Adams, Paul Armstrong (Danny Caldecott), Paul Jones, Mike Flynn, Nathan Wharton, Wayne Dean, Gerry Harrison, Nicky Clee, Dale Johnson (Neil Tolson), Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Chris Lynch, Danny Hooper, Steve Brackenridge.

Worcester City: McDonnell, Warner, Hines, Hodnett, Thompson, Lyttle, Warmer, Colley, Kelly, Webster, Clegg. Subs: Walker, Wood, McDonald, Wedgebury, Khan

Worcester arrived at Ewen Fields, for their first ever visit, with the poorest away record in the league and did nothing to improve it after a four goal hammering from the Tigers. You are never short of goals at Hyde and this game was no exception with 67 now having been scored in just 17 games!

There was little festive cheer for Andy Preece and his team despite plenty of possession in the second half as they were unable to breakdown Hyde's defence, which was superbly marshalled by Mike Flynn. Jean Paul Ndjebayi made up for his errors on Monday with an excellent display and a couple of notable saves when called into serious action.

The game set off at a cracking pace and after the visitors had forced a good save from Ndjebayi, Matty McNeil should have put Hyde ahead when he struck the 'keeper's legs when well placed. Seconds later he went close again and the game wasn't even two minutes old. Matty was again in the action on 21 minutes when Johnson set him up, but the chance again eluded him. Nevertheless he was playing supremely well as the Worcester defence were ran ragged time and time again.

Hyde took the lead on 24 minutes when Nathan Wharton, again an inspiration in midfield, side footed home after a great run by Nicky Clee. Gerry Harrison was inches over seconds later as the Tigers piled on the pressure. Still time for the visitors to test Jean Paul before Robert Warner handled a cross in the box three minutes before half-time, and Wharton cooled slotted home the penalty.

Worcester attacked strongly at the start of the second half with Adam Webster inches wide three minutes after the break. The visitors continued to have much of the play with some neat approach work but tended to overplay without really threatening the Hyde goal. When they did reach the area, Flynn won every header as the Hyde defence stood firm.

As the visitors pushed forward, Hyde replaced Dale Johnson, who had caused problems all afternoon, with Neil Tolson and it was he who set up McNeil for Hyde's third, three minutes from time. McNeil dispossessed Justin Thompson and headed for goal before chipping past the advancing 'keeper. A great goal to cap a superb individual performance from Matty. He was again on hand to put Nicky Clee through in injury time to add Hyde's fourth. As well as his duties up front , he also found time to help the defence for 15 minutes when the going got tough midway through the half.

This was a fully deserved victory for the Tigers and takes their points total for December to 15. Not bad when they only had 12 by the end of November. They are now up to 10th and knocking on the door of a play off spot. As they say a month is a long time in football and so it has proved. A settled side, self-belief and application have proved to be the key ingredients.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.