An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Sunday 25th March 2001
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Whitby Town1Goodchild (51)
Hyde United3Beeston (20), Hall (61), Salmon (90)

Attendance: 257

Whitby Town: David Campbell, Matthew Pitts, James Ferguson, David Goodchild, Kevin Graham, Dean MacAuley, Danny Key, Mark Eccles, Lee Ludlow, Craig Skelton, Kenny Cramman. Subs: Ben Dixon, Graham Robinson, Steve Johnson

Hyde United: Graham Bennett, Carl Laurie, Steve Smith, Mark Beeston, Steve Rimmer, Peter Band, Matty Taylor, Colin Hall (Desmond Rooms), Simon Yeo, Gavin Salmon, Neil Critchley. Subs not used: John Foster, Paul Taylor.

For a while now, many of Hyde's fans have said "give the fringe players a chance". Today they got that chance and they didn't let themselves down. Steve Tobin, Neil Hall, Paul Robertson, Lloyd Richardson & Ian Hutchinson couldn't make the trip for various reasons but their replacements were ready to give the commitment necessary to bring home the three points. On 5 minutes a Colin Hall through ball put Gavin Salmon through and he raced away from the chasing defender before slipping the ball past David Campbell in the Whitby goal only to see his shot hit the post and bounce out. Hyde were soon on top and deservedly went ahead when Campbell made a mess of a Critchley corner and Mark Beeston was on hand to fire home from close range. On the half hour Peter Band and Simon Yeo combined before our leading marksman had Campbell diving to his left to stop his crisp shot. Hyde were unlucky not to be two ahead before the break as on 36 minutes Campbell punched Carl Laurie's corner to the edge of the box where Neil Critchley rifled home only for the assistant referee to intervene indicating that a Hyde player was stood in an offside position and impeding the goalkeeper's view. Whitby started the second period well and within three minutes Matthew Pitts tested Graham Bennett with a shot from 25 yards. On 51 minutes the home side were level, David Goodchild out-jumped Bennett at a corner and scored with the simplest of headers. On 61 minutes Hyde were back in front, another corner was swung in by Critchley, Gavin Salmon made some contact before Colin Hall swept the ball home from close range and he seemed delighted to have registered his first goal for the club. A minute later it could have been all square again, good work by Craig Skelton provided an opportunity for Lee Ludlow but the striker shot over the top. On 71 minutes it was Skelton who had the chance, forcing Bennett to save well after a snapshot from the edge of the area. 15 minutes from time Hyde went close again, Peter Band connecting with Laurie's free kick but Campbell saved well backpeddling. Injury time saw Whitby almost grab an equaliser when a long punt found Dean MacAuley in the area but he blazed over the bar when he had a clear sight of goal. There was still time for Hyde to sew it up when Matty Taylor's long ball was knocked on by Simon Yeo and Gavin Salmon scored the goal he had deserved all day. We've waited since the 24th of February for a win then we get two in two days!!!!!

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.