An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 3rd March 2001
Northern Premier League Challenge Cup Quarter-Final

Hyde United0
Bishop Auckland2Mellanby (50), Bell (89)

Attendance: 275

Hyde United: Graham Bennett, Matty Taylor, Paul Robertson, Mark Beeston, Steve Rimmer (Steve Tobin), Peter Band, Phil Trainer, Neil Hall, Simon Yeo, Jody Banim (Lloyd Richardson), Carl Laurie (Micky Beirne)

Bishop Auckland: Steven Jones, Stephen Hutt, Anthony Lee, David Gallacher, Mark Salmon, Michael Nelson, Steven Bell, David Bayles, Andrew Shaw, Danny Mellanby, Jeff Smith. Subs: Danny Brunskill, Thomas Dunn, Mark Foster.

Bishop Auckland left Ewen Fields with a thoroughly deserved place in the semi-finals of the League Challenge Cup after a comprehensive win over their hosts. Hyde goalkeeper Graham Bennett made a save inside twenty seconds when he pushed Jeff Smith shot around the post for a corner. On 6 minutes Hyde had their first attempt when Jody Banim shot wide after latching onto a Simon Yeo flick. Bishop keeper Steven Jones denied Paul Robertson on 15 minutes when he made a good stop after the full back tried his luck from 25 yards. Bishop Auckland dominated the last 15 minutes of the half with Smith volleying over and then Andrew Shaw cutting the ball back into a good position only to find no-one there to finish. On 43 minutes Anthony Lee's cross was headed wide by Shaw and a minute later Lee let fly with a scorcher from 30 yards which Bennett palmed onto the crossbar. Bishop Auckland went ahead five minutes after the break when a poor backpass from Matty Taylor only found Danny Mellanby who rounded the goalkeeper before slotting home.It could have been two six minutes later when Steven Bell was tackled inside the area, the ball fell kindly for Mellanby but the striker shot wide. On 67 minutes Hyde's Jody Banim was unlucky to see his shot hit the side netting although Jones had his post covered. The 81st minute saw substitute Mark Foster go close for the visitors, forcing Bennett to save with his legs after beating the keeper to a throughball. The visitors laid any doubt to rest in the final minute when Steven Bell slotted home from close range and so ending Hyde's last chance of silverware this season.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2020. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.