An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Tuesday 17th September 2013
Conference Premier

Hyde FC0
Woking2Betsy (74, 87)

Attendance: 387

Hyde FC: David Carnell, Josh Brizell, Adam Griffin, Will Haining, Luke Ashworth, Connor Hughes, Alex Brown, Adam Blakeman, Louis Almond, Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Tom Collins. Subs not used: Matt Mainwaring, Andrew Fitzgerald, David McNiven, Adam Thurston, Scott Spencer.

Woking: Beasant, Newton, Nutter, Parkinson, Mike, Ricketts, Sawyer (McNamee), Williams (Goddard), Betsy (McNerney), Payne, Rendell. Subs Not Used: Howe, Sole.

by Tony Spencer

The Tigers slipped to a fifth league defeat in a row at the hands of Woking, in a frustrating game from Ewen Fields.

Two late goals from Kevin Betsy for the visitors was enough to seal victory and leave Hyde routed to the bottom of the Skrill Premier.

After a tough start to the season that has seen Hyde play five of the top seven and only take two points from a possible 24, there was a lot of the “season starts here” talk around Ewen Fields prior to kick off.

With Woking sitting just outside the drop zone, this was seen as a winnable game, but to be fair to Woking, they would have thought the same thing prior to kick off. Much too early to talk of 6 pointers, but the Tigers really needed to pick up some points to get the season going.

On a fantastic crisp evening for football, both sides started hastily on a wet surface that allowed the ball to be spread at pace. Hyde lined up in the traditional 4-4-2, with Tom Collins being partnered by on-loan youth powerhouse, Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, and started brightly.

First, Collins won the ball in the box and created space, but saw his shot fire wide, before Dieseruvwe saw his shot blocked. The Tigers were having a lot of the ball in Woking’s half and the front two were looking lively, as they would all evening.

The visitors were playing the now familiar 4-3-3/4-5-1, so it created a lot of counter-attacking play from both teams and an end-to-end game. Louis Almond was played in by a ball over the top from Adam Griffin, but his tame shot was easily saved by Sam Beasant in the Cardinal’s goal. Josh Brizell also had a long-range effort from a cleared corner, but he hit the imaginary row Z.

As the half wore on, it looked like the Tigers would get the goal their play deserved. A Drogba-esque chest-turn-half-volley with power from Dieseruvwe on 34 minutes was saved well by Beasant in goal.

Then late in the half, Hyde suddenly had two great chances to go in one up. First, Alex Brown broke free in space in Woking’s half and ran at goal. He squared it to Almond on the left for a one-two, but the winger decided to shoot at goal, and failed to beat the keeper.

Then, in stoppage time, Collins danced into the box past two defenders, to end up one-on-one, but Beasant again was up to the job to save and clear. Fine keeping from the lad, his dad would be very proud, and the sides went in goalless at the break.

Into the second half and it was the visitors that looked livelier. Gavin Williams had two chances from free kicks, but both were eventually cleared.

Then on the hour mark, Dieseruvwe again had a great chance as he picked the ball up in his own half, before skipping past two defenders and into the box, but his shot was deflected wide. Great strong run by the big lad.

As the half wore on, Woking pushed on for the goal and looked the more likely to score. The introduction of Anthony McNamee down the right caused a lot of problems, with Griffin being given a lot to do.

Then on 74 minutes, Woking opened the scoring. Another free kick down the right was played in low to Betsy, who won a challenge for the ball to turn it in. A good spell from the Cardinals had produced a goal, but Hyde will still feel aggrieved to go behind.

Hyde’s heads didn’t drop and the goal seemed to spur them back into life. A shot by Adam Blakeman on 80 minutes was parried to Hughes, but he was offside. Then two minutes later, a Josh Brizell cross was headed over by an unmarked Collins.

Chance after chance came for the Tigers now; substitute Scott Spencer should have equalised after fine work from Collins down the right. He squared the ball across the goal for a tap-in, but Spencer scuffed his shot and Beasant again saved.

Then in the 86th minute, Hughes was played in down the left, and he whipped over a curling low cross for Collins, but he couldn’t reach to tap in on the slide.

But the equaliser just wouldn’t come and as the Tigers committed more men forward, the visitors doubled their lead in the 88th minute to seal the win. A Scott Rendall shot was parried to Betsy for his second, again from close range, which was very harsh on Hyde.

The game finished two nil, and given the reaction by the players and travelling fans at the whistle, you could say the visitors were happiest to come and take all three points.

Hyde had more chances and moved the ball around better, but they just couldn’t put it in the back of the net and that proved to be the difference. The ball spent a lot of time in the visitors half, thanks to good work from the front two and wingers, but they need someone to put it away.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2021. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.