An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Tuesday 22nd October 2013
Cheshire Senior Cup 1st Round

Hyde FC5Kirby (32, 61), Kiwanda (50), Hughes (62), Pollard (76)
Cheadle Town0

Attendance: 112

Hyde FC: Ashley Frith, Andrew Fitzgerald, Josh Morrell, Matt Mainwaring, Luke Ashworth, Adam Thurston, Martin Devaney, Adam Blakeman (Jake Pollard), Damase Kiwanda, James Kirby, Connor Hughes. Subs not used: David McNiven, Josh Brizell, Adam Griffin.

Cheadle Town: Piggott, Smallwood, Pearson, Roberts, Lindon, McCrohan, Connolly, Toucca, Brokenbrow, Nolan, Sherrington. Subs: Rhodes, Brooks, Roberts

By George Corrin

It was a debut to remember for both James Kirby and Damase Kiwanda as the strikers both notched their name onto the score sheet along with fellow academy member Jake Pollard and first team midfielder, Connor Hughes.

Kirby, Kiwanda and Pollard were just three of the six reserve players called up to the first team with Andy Fitzgerald, Josh Morrell and Adam Thurston all making appearances as well.

The win was Hyde’s first of the season, and the first victory since they beat Radcliffe Borough in the Manchester Premier Cup on penalties last month.

Manager Scott McNiven will be delighted with his sides attacking flair in the second half and the fact the Tigers gained their first clean sheet of the season.

The game itself began quite lively with both sides looking to get an early lead and for the opening ten minutes it was Steve Brokenbrow’s side that had the majority of possession.

It was the home side, however, that created the first meaningful chance of the game, as Connor Hughes saw his effort well saved by Steve Piggott. On 14 minutes Hyde came close again, this time Matty Mainwaring rattled a header against the Cheadle Town crossbar.

From there the tempo began to fall flat, with only a stinging drive from Morrell catching the crowd’s attention.

Hyde eventually broke the deadlock on 32 minutes after some great work down the left hand side from Hughes; the former Oldham man delivered a pin point cross to Kirby who glanced home a wonderful diving header.

The 17-year-old’s debut goal would have pleased the reserve and academy director Mark Worthington who was eagerly watching in the stands.

Despite the setback, Cheadle Town responded brilliantly with the North West Counties Division One side putting Hyde under a barrage of pressure up until half time. The visitors came close through Christopher Sherrington whose powerful effort went just inches wide of Ashley Frith’s near post. Arguably their best chance fell to Ben Connolly who somehow managed to fire wide whilst unmarked six yards from goal.

The second half saw the Tigers start far brighter and the home side nearly doubled their lead after just two minutes, with Martin Devaney's beautifully curled free kick just glancing off the post.

On 50 minutes, Hyde finally grabbed that crucial second goal. It all began after Kiwanda picked up a loose ball on the right, the forward then cut inside and lashed in an effort which squirmed underneath the diving Piggott. The Congo born Kiwanda celebrated his first Hyde goal acrobatically in front of the Shed End, much to the delight of the home crowd.

The tie was not over yet as it could have easily been 2-1 just a few moments later, with Frith only half clearing from Antony Trucca, the ball then fell to Ben Roberts whose shot was brilliantly cleared off the line by captain Luke Ashworth.

Hyde soon put the home support at ease on 61 minutes as the Tigers secured a third goal. After Kiwanda charged down the right wing with his quick pace, the youngster then played a ball across goal to Kirby who was lurking around the six yard box. The debutant coolly slotted the ball passed the advancing keeper to earn himself a second for the night.

Incredibly, just over a minute later, Scott McNiven's side were celebrating their fourth. In almost identical build up play, Kiwanda glided past left back Luke Pearson once again to deliver another low cross to an unmarked Kirby. This time striker saw his effort well saved by Piggott but Connor Hughes was on hand to drive home the rebound.

From there on in it was a display of total dominance from Hyde, with Kirby just missing out on a debut hat trick with Piggott saving well from close range.

Adam Thurston thought he had got in on the scoring act on 75 minutes, only for the linesman to blow for a late offside.

Sixty seconds later however, the Tigers secured their fifth goal of the night, with substitute Jake Pollard taking all of the plaudits. From 25 yards out Pollard unleashed a powerful drive which evaded Piggott and nestled into the far corner.

Most of the 112 in attendance were in good voice following this rampant spell and in final 10 minutes Hyde almost made it six with Kiwanda’s shot clipping the inside of the post.

The final whistle brought to an end a second half mauling from the Tigers, with the Skrill Premier side's extra fitness and skill being the difference in the final 45 minutes.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2020. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.