An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 23rd November 2013
Conference Premier

Hyde FC1Spencer (66)
Alfreton Town2Bradley (74), Westwood (78)

Attendance: 448

Hyde FC: Lawrence Vigouroux, Adam Thurston (Danny Carlton), Adam Griffin, D'Arcy O'Connor, Luke Ashworth, Liam Tomsett, Adam Blakeman (Martin Devaney), Alex Brown, Scott Spencer, Louis Almond, Reece Gray (David Poole). Subs not used: Will Haining, Connor Hughes.

Alfreton Town: Atkins, Law, Wylde, Westwood, Rowe-Turner, Bradley, Wood, Shaw (Wishart), McGrath, Meadows (Taylor), Akinde (Clayton). Subs not Used: Kempson, Franklin.

Hyde FC succumbed to another league defeat courtesy of two late goals from Alfreton Town.

The Tigers were on course for their first league win of the season, after Scott Spencer put them ahead 15 minutes into the second half. However it was not to be for Scott McNiven’s side, as Dan Bradley and Chris Westwood made it 2-1 to the Derbyshire club shortly after, leaving Hyde to walk away with nothing.

The home side were also controversy denied penalty moments after Alfreton took the lead, as referee, Darren Handley, failed to award Hyde with anything despite Luke Ashworth being seemingly brought down inside the area.

The result now means Hyde have not won any of their 21 league games and leaves the club at the bottom of the table by 13 points, after nearest placed Aldershot Town won 5-1 against Southport.

The match itself started slowly at Ewen Fields, as neither side managed to get a steady foothold early in the game.

The first clear chance came on 17 minutes, as after some great link up play between Louis Almond and Alex Brown; Scott Spencer managed to find some space to unleash a stinging shot into the palms of visiting keeper, Ross Atkins.

Following a period of dominance for the Tigers, Alfreton began to come alive with top-scorer John Akinde starting to cause problems. However the big striker was left increasingly frustrated by the solid defending of young Adam Thurston, who stepped in at right-back for the suspended Josh Brizell.

During Alfreton’s spell of pressure, on-loan goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux was it has best to keep out Dan Bradley’s low and powerful 25-yard drive.

Vigouroux once again had to come to the Tigers rescue shortly before half time, with the big Chilean twice keeping out Akinde’s efforts.

Both sides went into the interval with score’s, somewhat fairly, level at 0-0.

Alfreton almost struck immediately after the restart, as right-back Bradley Wood whipped in a dangerous ball across the Hyde box which was somehow misjudged by Akinde at the back post.

Ten minutes later, Reds keeper Atkins was on hand again to tip over Spencer’s dipping long range shot.

On 66 minutes, Hyde finally broke the games deadlock. A slip by Josh Law, Alfreton manager Nicky Law’s son, allowed Almond to pounce on the loose ball and play a delicious pass into the path of Spencer. The striker then drove into the box and brilliantly slotted his effort into the bottom right corner to put the Tigers 1-0 ahead.

The goal promoted an almost immediate response from Alfreton, as Vigouroux was forced to make a world class save to keep out substitute Paul Clayton’s point blank header.

Sadly the party spirit was not to last at Ewen Fields, as Alfreton drew level on 73 minutes. A corner from Law was not properly dealt with by the Tiger’s defence, leaving Bradley at back post with just enough space to drive in the equaliser.

Four minutes later things went from bad to worse for Hyde. Once again another Law corner managed to evade the home defence, leaving 36-year-old Captain, Chris Westwood, free to header in from close range for Alfretons winner.

Mr Handley, soon became the centre of attention after he decided not to award a penalty when Luke Ashworth looked to have been fouled in the area. The centre-back was through on goal before being brought down in the box, leaving the defender clutching his leg in agony. Appeals rang out from players and fans but the referee simply waved away any complaints, much to the annoyance of the home dug out.

Nicky Law’s side nearly made it three soon after, when substitute Daniel Wishart was baring down on the Tigers goal; however a combination of Vigouroux and loan debutant D’Arcy O’Connor managed to prevent the striker from sealing the game.

As full time approached, Vigouroux pulled of another great save, this time using his legs to stop Law’s one-on-one effort.

There was just enough time for just one last attack for Hyde. In the third minute of added time substitute Martin Devaney was hauled down just outside the area for a free-kick. Left-back Adam Griffin took the set-piece but was denied by a brilliant flying save from Atkins.

After the full time whistle many of the Hyde fans applauded their team’s valiant efforts, in a game where the Tigers really deserved at least a point.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.