An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 4th October 2014
Conference North

Leamington4S. Moore (53), Newton (63, 68), Wint (84)
Hyde FC0

Attendance: 521

Leamington: Neil Collett, James Fry, Stephan Morley , Joe Magunda, Stuart Pierpoint, Jamie Tank, Matt Dodd (Aron Wint), Jordan Goddard (Jack Edwards), Stefan Moore, Danny Newton (Richard Batchelor), Lee Chilton. Subs not used: James Mace, Lee Moore.

Hyde FC: Billy O'Brien, Josh Brizell, Adam Blakeman, Alex McQuade, Liam Chilvers, Louis Almond (Adam Thurston), Connor Hughes, D'Arcy O'Connor, Luke Giverin, Reece Gray (Steve Tames), Tom Bentham. Subs not used: Ryan Masterson, George Riley, Kyle Brownhill. Sent off: Luke Giverin.

by Jake Ashton

The Tigers looked to extend their good league form after their win over Lowestoft in their last outing in the Vanarama Conference North. The previous

Hyde started off brightly, looking to attack down the wings as they normally do through Connor Hughes and Louis Almond and nearly took the lead through Captain Josh Brizell who hit the post in the 2nd minute. Tom Bentham won a corner after a neat flick on and the resulting corner was taken short, with Brizell cutting inside almost identical to the shot he scored with against Marine last weekend, but the shot cannoned back off the post and safely away. The Tigers pressed again and after a neat one-two between Bentham and Reece Gray, Bentham had a shot blocked by Jamie Tank who performed like a tank in the Leamington defence.

The home side started off slowly but as the half wore on began to create chances of their own, with Matt Dodd looking lively for the Brakes. Luke Giverin lost possession for the Tigers and allowed Danny Newton to get his shot away, but the striker drilled wide. Giverin then was booked after a 50/50 challenge on the halfway line, although the foul itself was Giverin’s first tackle of the game, but referee Ollie Yates booked the midfielder on a day in which he issued 8 yellow cards altogether. Stefan Moore then hit the post for the home side in what was a period of domination, but were lacking a final ball. Jordan Goddard worked the ball well on the wing and played a quick one-two with Dodd, before whipping in a ball to Moore who was on his own 5 yards away from the goal, but Brizell made a last ditch lunge which looked to have put off the striker and he scuffed his attempt against the post.

In what became an end-to-end game for the last 10 minutes of the first half, the Tigers had another chance to take the lead, but Bentham’s shot was again denied by a great block from Tank. Bentham had numerous chances in the first half after a pretty poor display from the Leamington back four who kept losing possession rather sloppily, and the Striker won the majority of his aerial battles.

The second half began with the Tigers starting slowly, as they have done frequently in the past, and within 10 minutes they were 1-0 down thanks to a goal from ex Villa man Stefan Moore. Reece Gray miscontrolled the ball in midfield and a ricochet off Joe Magunda fell perfectly to Moore who was one on one with Billy O’Brien. Moore rounded the keeper brilliantly and almost messed up his chance with Brizell on the line but tucked the ball into the corner and gave the Brakes the lead. Hyde almost equalised straight away through Giverin, whose curling free kick was denied by a great save by Neil Collett in the Leamington goal tipping it around the post, before the resulting corner saw Liam Chilvers go close with a glancing header.

Giverin was then dismissed by the referee after a lunging tackle which led to the ref producing a second yellow, sending the midfielder off. The foul was only his second of the game, but the referee was very card happy in what wasn’t really a feisty game of sorts. The Brakes then doubled their lead with a bullet header after a great cross from Goddard which was straight on Newton’s head and into the back of the net. Within 5 minutes Leamington scored another, again from Newton who went unchallenged around the Hyde box and drilled in a powerful shot low into the corner, with O’Brien only helping the ball into the goal.

Leamington then only heaped more misery on the Tigers with a 4th through substitute Aron Wint, who got on the end of a perfect cross with a diving header which left O’Brien with no chance. Hyde continued to push looking for a consolation goal and game close with Brizell’s cross-cum-shot but chances really were few and far between for the Tigers in a pretty lacklustre second half which ended with the Hyde fans chanting “We never win at home and we never win away…”.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2024. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.