An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Tuesday 22nd January 2013
Conference Premier

Grimsby Town2Cook (82, 90)
Hyde FC0

Attendance: 2755

Grimsby Town: Fleming, Hatton, Pearson, Miller, Niven (Thanoj), Colbeck, Disley, Devitt, Wood, Brodie (Cook), Hannah (Southwell). Unused subs: Artus, Ford.

Hyde FC: David Carnell, Josh Brizell (Matthew Harris), Adam Griffin, Luke Ashworth, Kelvin Lomax, David Poole (Ray Puterill), Mark Allott, Liam Tomsett, Chris Sedgwick, Scott Spencer, Phil Jevons (Matthew Blinkhorn). Subs not used: Ashley Frith, Grant Spencer.

A hard fought game saw substitute Andy Cook steal the show with two goals in the last 10 minutes, the score finishing 2-0 to Town.

A crowd of 2,755 gathered on the east coast, the game started brightly with both teams showing a desire to get the ball down and play. It took two minutes for the first chance of the game, a short corner from Grimsby’s Colbeck ended in a scuffed shot by Devitt. Five minutes later there was an opportunity for Hyde, Griffin ventured forward and fired a cross into the box which was clasped by Fleming, but the keeper, making his league debut, spilled the ball but recovered well.

Grimsby were starting to look shaky in possession giving the ball away needlessly several times and in the tenth minute Spencer won the ball on the edge of the area, playing a fast ball into Poole he struck it first time back into Spencer who could only head it into Fleming’s hands. Hyde were still harrying the opposition well and you could feel the discomfort from the Grimsby fans.

Poole was fouled in a dangerous position and it was Jevons with the free kick but Fleming’s confidence was building as he plucked the ball from the air. Grimsby’s first chance to fell to Derek Niven who took a shot on the edge of the area but it flew harmlessly over. Brizell and Griffin were firing crosses attack after attack but there was no conviction in the final third as well as some good build up play from Tomsett, Spencer and Allot but there were still no clear cut chances.

Perhaps one of the best incidents of the first half was the argument between manager Rob Scott and the fourth official which resulted in a stern telling of by referee Ross Joyce.

The best chance of the half came on the 30th minute, after Mark Allot was booked for a challenge on Colbeck, he whipped the ball into the box and a fine header down from Niven allowed Disley to release the trigger but to the anguish of the home supporters it went narrowly wide. Hyde’s best chance of the half came on the 33rd minute when Liam Tomsett was played the ball on the edge of the box, taking a vicious snap at it his effort was blocked by Pearson on the penalty spot.

In the dying embers of the half Devitt played a stunning through ball through to Brodie who opted for the pass across goal which ruined the move then moments later the full back Bradley Wood played a lofted pass into the run of Hannah who managed to put it past Lomax but could only fire wide. After a very even half Grimsby had created more chances but Hyde looked extremely comfortable on the ball trying to force the opening.

Within the opening 30 seconds of the half a through ball was claimed by Carnell and with a cheeky lunge Brodie tried to add some contact with the ball but caught Carnell in the process, Lomax was first to the scene and it wasn’t long before a whole host of players were involved in a confrontation on the pitch which resulted in a yellow card for the forward.

Grimsby had started excellently; they had three offside decisions given against them in the opening minutes. In the 55th minute a decision went their way, Griffin drives a ball aimed at Spencer in the box and it seemed to bounce of a defenders arm before being cleared, there were huge cries but nothing was given. Straight away a long kick forward from Pearson saw Carnell in action again running off his line to head the ball on the edge of the area.

The change that won the match, after having poor games Niven and Brodie were changed for Cook and Thanjo in the 59th minute, straight away Grimsby looked lively. Hannah was played through but again couldn’t make the most of the opportunity and fired high and wide, moments later Devitt hit a beautiful cross field ball into the path of Thanjo who produced a superb stop from Carnell, and Woods saw his later effort run wide.

Jevons was replaced by Blinkhorn after taking a knock in the 65th minute and ten minutes later making his Tigers debut Ray Putterill came on for Poole. Grimsby put on the pressure again and Devitt was played in down the left hand side by Wood, cutting inside twice he couldn’t get a shot away and played a ball into a dangerous zone but Carnell did well. Five minutes later some good defending from Luke Ashworth saw him make a perfect interception which could have been dangerous.

The deadline was broken on the 82nd minute, it was winger Jamie Devitt who put in a deep cross and it was the substitute Andy Cook who fired his header into the back of the net. The goal seemed to do Hyde some good, Putterill was looking lively but it was Blinkhorn who had a strong effort turned round the post on the 88th minute moments later Putterill had a half volley just inside area which looked destined for a goal but it was blocked on the line.

With 4 minutes to be added on Hyde went for broke taking off full back Josh Brizell for academy product Matty Harris. But with Hyde searching for the equaliser they were under siege, against the run of play Cook turned the ball inside from the edge of the area and fired a well timed shot into the bottom right hand corner, with the last attack of the game it was Grimsby who took the spoils.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2021. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.