An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 10th March 2012
Conference North

Hyde FC1Worsley (46)
FC Halifax Town1Dean (12)

Attendance: 1354

Hyde FC: David Carnell, Andrew Pearson, Adam Griffin, Danny Hall, Gianluca Havern, David Birch, Chris Worsley (David Poole), Callum Byrne (Godwin Abadaki), Reece Gray, Scott Spencer, Ryan Crowther. Subs not used: Danny Broadbent, Josh Brizell, Phil Edghill.

FC Halifax Town: Eastwood, Hardy, McManus, Needham, Hogan, Lowe, Simon Garner, Baker, James Dean, Holland (Crooks 81), Rainford (Wint 45). Unused subs: Senior, Ashworth

Report by Luke Edwards

Hyde extended their lead at the top of the Blue Square Bet North table to 11 points despite only drawing in this entertaining game at Ewen Fields.

In a really entertaining game in front of just over 1300 fans, a Chris Worsley header early in the second half meant the shares were spoiled.

A Halifax win would have kept the chase for the number one spot alive, but this draw means they will have to settle for playoffs – not that the Shaymen manager Neil Aspin felt that the title was in their grasp anyway.

It was the visitors from Yorkshire who started the brighter when Jamie Rainford cut inside before shooting over.

Hyde’s first opportunity came when Scott Spencer’s free-kick was deflected and Simon Eastwood managed to gather.

Rainford was causing problems down the left and his cross forced David Carnell to block Danny Holland’s header.

They did take the lead in the 12th minute when James Dean turned smartly and fired in off a post to delight the 632 travelling fans.

Hyde couldn’t find their usual rhythm as Halifax stifled them and looked dangerous on the break, but they did come in to the game as the half ended and only a last-ditch block from Liam Hogan prevented Spencer from equalising.

Hyde manager Gary Lowe admitted that it had a got bit heated in the dressing room at half-time, and his team responded in the perfect manner when an unmarked Worsley headed home a Reece Gray cross.

Hyde were showing why they were league leaders as they took the game to Halifax and Spencer’s strike was just about shovelled over by Eastwood.

The visitors were having the odd chance on the break and Dean should have done better with a header when he was left unmarked.

Reece Gray made space for himself but his shot went straight at Eastwood before Gianluca Havern and Andy Pearson were mightly close with headers.

Halifax nearly stole all 3 points when Matty Crooks, on loan from Huddersfield, badly screwed wide as he found himself free in the box.

At the other end Liam Hogan was having a fine game as he produced 2 last-ditch tackles to firstly deny Spencer and then substitute Godwin Abadaki.

After the match, gaffer Gary Lowe told Luke Edwards:

For the neutral it was probably a good game.

I thought we started slow and they pushed us over really, more than anyone has done to us this season to be fair, and then towards the end of the first half we started to probe a little bit, create chances and pass it a little bit better.

A few words were spoken in the dressing room and it got a bit heated but we got a reaction and in the second half.

We started really well, looked much the better side and started to look dangerous but we couldn’t just quite get the finish. although I thought their ‘keeper was good, most of the strikes were straight at him.

I thought in the end we showed great courage. I’d take a point at the end of the day, especially with how the other results went.

We’ll go to Nuneaton next week confident, but the league certanly isn’t over yet.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.