An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 26th November 2011
F.A. Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round

Matlock Town0
Hyde FC1Griffin (90)

Attendance: 367

Matlock Town: Jon Kennedy, Kris Witcombe, Kris Bowler, Liam King, Adam Yates, James Lukic, Chris Bettney (Ben Hunter), Steve Warne, Tyeisse Nightingale, Gareth Davies (Nathan Joynes), Ben Algar (Lee Featherstone) Subs Not Used: Joel McGill, Nick Buxton.

Hyde FC: David Carnell, Josh Brizell, Adam Griffin, Andrew Pearson, Danny Hall, David Birch, Chris Worsley, Callum Byrne, Tom Fisher, Matthew Berkeley, David Poole. Subs not used: Sean Williams, Danny Broadbent, Tunji Moses, Gianluca Havern, Nathan Martin.

- - - - -

A last-minute goal from Adam Griffin saw the Tigers through to the next round of the FA Trophy over Matlock Town. The game looked to be heading to a replay until the former Stockport captain curled a superb free-kick from 20 yards into the top corner.

It was a tough assignment for the Tigers on a difficult surface and with a swirling wind, but it was their never say die attitude which has been in evidence numerous times this season that saw them through.

It was Hyde who started brightly with Tom Fisher and David Poole both going close before TJ Nightingale caused problems, but his shot was comfortably dealt with by David Carnell.

It was an unforgettable half of football but it did see the dismissal of Gary Lowe, who was sent to the stand for appearing to protest once too often to referee Ricky Wooton.

Hyde came out on the front foot in the second half and it was substitute Danny Broadbent who was starting cause problems as his blockbuster was beaten away by John Kennedy in the home goal.

Kennedy got down smartly again a few minutes later when Broadbent got in at the near post to flick Josh Brizzel’s cross towards goal.

It was Hyde domintaing now and David Poole really should have given them the lead as he got through on goal after a break from a Matlock corner, but again Kennedy stood up well to block.

The former Sunderland keeper was keeping the Evo-Stik side in the tie and he saved his best save till last to deny Tom Fisher with a header that looked in for all the world, but somehow he clawed it away.

With time ticking away Broadbent’s shirt was tugged back on the edge of the area and Griffin did the rest to set up a tie at Boston in the next round.

Speaking to Luke Edwards after the match, Gary Lowe reflected on a scrappy, but deserved, win:

“Obviously we’ve not had the greatest history in cups this year, and it was a tough game.

“The pitch wasn’t the best for good football. Matlock worked hard and it was a scruffy, but we’re pleased to be through.

“I was thinking to myself we had to play again Monday and finish it off, but it was a great goal from Griff and a great time to score.

“I thought the referee was poor today. He made a fuss out of nothing and there were 7 bookings when it wasn’t a dirty game at all – just competitive. I think he caused his own problems.”

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.