An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 16th March 2002
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Whitby Town1Logan (15)
Hyde United2Band (48), Madin (56)

Attendance: 324

Whitby Town: Naisbett, Williams, Logan, Graham, Rand, Anderson, Dunning, Robinson, Marchant, Ure, Gildea. Subs: Key, Windross, El Magaryef.

Hyde United: David Felgate, Lee Madin, Matty Taylor, Dominic Crookes, Paul Ashwell, Peter Band, Chris Young, Steve Foster, Simon Yeo (Tom Brookes), Dale Hawtin, Lee Evans. Subs not used: Mike Meszaros, Neil Critchley.

The Tigers made it seven points out of the last nine with an impressive second half performance which gave them a deserved 2-1 victory at sunny Whitby. Although David Nolan said before the game that he was confident we would get two goals, that seemed a long way off at half-time as Hyde trailed 1-0 and had lost Simon Yeo with a knee injury along the way.

The Tigers started with the usual three at the back, but this soon became four as Lee Evans was drafted in to left back as Whitby stormed forward with a series of long high balls. Lee Ure was very speedy (if somewhat theatrical when tackled) and causing the defence all sorts of problems. After surviving the initial onslaught, Hyde fell behind after 15 minutes when a corner by David Logan found its way directly into the net - or so Assistant Referee said. Interesting this as he had failed to spot incidents under his nose but suddenly spotted something 35 yards away! In fact all the officials had their moments in the first half. The same Assistant was involved minutes later to get Dale Hawtin a booking when he clearly tripped going for the ball before colliding with Ure. The referee was then embarrassed to find the Whitby physio treating a player in the centre circle as play went on around him. Surprisingly no action was taken. Perhaps we should have done that in Worksop game?

To be fair the officials improved a little after the break, but not as much as the Tigers. Driven on by Peter Band and a new formation with Paul Ashwell at right back and Matty back to his old stomping ground on the left, Hyde stormed up field and within three minutes had pulled the goal back as Bandy (black-balled on Monday) hammered home after good work by Lee Madin. Eight minutes later Hyde were in front as Madin hit home a loose ball to send the hoards of travelling Tigers fans into raptures. More chances came and went but Hyde held firm with David Felgate making crucial saves when he had to, and Dominic Crookes and Hawtin making last ditch tackles. Defending was never easy on the heavy pitch, which had passed an early morning inspection.

The final whistle didn't come until 4.59pm, but in the end three points had been secured and that's what matters at this stage. Still a long way to go ­but six more wins like this will do! The whole team did well in the second half, but special mention should be made of Chris Young, who had an excellent game in centre midfield, and showed what he can do with his right head on. He almost scored too with a superb 30- yard free kick, which brought a good save from Phil Naisbett. Striker Lee Evans also deserves praise for slotting in at left back in the first half and then left midfield in the second half. He performed heroics with his never-say-die attitude and epitomised the spirit currently in the squad.

Hyde had new signing Michael Meszaros on the bench, but this was not really the game to see what he can do. His turn will come soon no doubt, especially as Hyde look like being without Martin Filson, Yeo and Nolo for the Runcorn game

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.