An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 24th September 2005
F.A. Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Hyde United2Johnson (10), Jones (17)
Lancaster City1Taylor (15)

Attendance: 333

Hyde United: Mark Westhead, Lincoln Adams, Danny Caldecott, Paul Jones, Jamie Milligan, John O'Kane (Chris Lynch), Steve Brackenridge, Phil Salt (Paul Armstrong), Nicky Clee, Dale Johnson (Wayne Dean), Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Gerry Harrison, Jean-Paul Ndjebayi.

Lancaster City: McMillan, Morris, Scott, Mcmahon, Swan, Howson, Eckersley, Taylor, Jones, Rogan, Elderton. Subs: Sullivan, Black, Bond, Urberscar, Bauress

Report by Tony Beard:

Hyde progressed through to the next round of the FA Cup with an impressive performance against a workmanlike Lancaster side to make it an unhappy return to Tameside for Phil Wilson. Although the Tigers will be content with the prize money, the day was marred by a serious injury to skipper John O'Kane who was taken to hospital with a possible rupture of his Achilles tendon. A long lay-off is likely.

The Tigers started well with Phil Salt replacing the injured Nicky Hill and took the lead on 10 minutes when Lincoln Adams headed towards goal and Dale Johnson nipped in front of Tony McMillan to score. Hyde's joy was short-lived however, as five minutes later O'Kane was carried off and within a minute, Lancaster has equalised with a superb header from Alex Taylor. Hyde stormed upfield and from Salt's corner, Paul Jones headed home to put the Tigers back in front. It was Jones' first goal of the season and couldn't have been timed better.

As usual, Hyde created chance after chance but failed to capitalise and were lucky just on half-time when Nick Rogan pounced on a misplaced header from Chris Lynch, but managed to put his shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

Lancaster made two substitutions at half time and had plenty of possession after the break, but couldn't breakdown the Hyde defence despite the loss of the influential O'Kane. Adams rose to the task in the centre alongside the immaculate Jones, ably supported by Lynch and Danny Caldecott on the flanks. Mark Westhead hardly had a shot to save, but was kept busy by plenty of high balls into the box.

Matty McNeil and Johnson worked hard up front and overall it was a good professional performance from the Tigers as they continue to adjust to the better and more organised opposition from Conference North. It was a shame there were not more to see it on such a sunny day, but perhaps the crowd of 333 was not too bad considering all the Tameside teams were at home.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.