An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 19th November 1983
F.A. Cup 1st Round Proper

Hyde United0
Burnley2Waldron (45), Reeves (84 pen)

Hyde United: Colin Darcy, Tony Steenson, Kevin Glendon, Steve Johnson, Gary Blore, Brian Hart, David Holt, Peter Coyne, Charlie Pawsey, Terry Cook, Barry Howard. Subs not used: Peter Coutts. Sent off: Tony Steenson.

Burnley: Not available

Match Played at Turf Moor, Burnley

Attendance 7723

For supporters watching a Tigers team in FA Cup action for the first time in 29 years, the memories of a quite brilliant fighting display will linger on. The will never forget that first, fascinating 45 minutes when the free-wheeling, stylish Kevin Glendon outshone Burnley’s multi-million pound superstars, or when Barry Howard ghosted three times past players who have played in internationals all over the world.

Long will they remember a brave backs to the wall performance in the second half when the ten terrific Tigers weathered a barrage that would have sunk a lesser team.

With Gary Blore and Brian Hart brilliant in a defence that gave their all, the likes of £1 million man Kevin Reeves and Northern Ireland World Cup star Billy Hamilton knew they had been in a game.

For the first 30 minutes Hyde matched one of the best sides in the third division in every department. But in the second half it was only the bravery and brilliance of Colin Darcy that stood between Burnley and four or five goals.

Time after time Darcy flung himself about to keep out shots and headers from players who, until Saturday, were simple headline names in the national press.

Burnley stuck their noses in front at the worst possible time for Hyde. With 30 seconds of the first half to go, a Brian Flynn corner from the right was headed on by a near post flick from Reeves and there was Burnley’s £80,000 signing from Southampton, Malcolm Waldron, forcing home a header.

Earlier it had been nip and tuck, with Hyde settling down right from the stat. Never in awe of Burnley’s costly collection of stars, Charlie Pawsey, a product of Sunday football, looked sharp but it was Howardwho looked good for a goal.

If Hyde had a problem it was finishing. Time and again the Tigers reached the Burnley penalty box and Howard had three shots but each was too weak to trouble Roger Hansbury.

Hyde might have snatched one in the opening minutes but top scorer Peter Coyne was a fraction too slow to sieze ona loose ball in the Burnley goalmouth. The Wales skipper Brian Flynn tried a near suicidal lob to Hansbury that was just too high for Coyne.

Burnley had the ball over the line after 21 minutes, but referee Keith Walmsley of Blackpool, who had a poor game, disallowed Derek Scott’s shot after a foul on Darcy by Hamilton.

Hamilton, looking sluggish after his midweek game for Northern Ireland in West Germant, missed several chances of putting the game beyond Hyde’s reach.

Burnley came into their own after the break with Blore heading a cross against his own upright and Reeves sending in a stunning header that was beaten out by Darcy.

Then disaster struck for Hyde. Five minutes into the halfSteenson was booked for an untidy tackle on Burnley man of the match Tommy Hutchinson and seven minutes later the Hyde skipper sent the winger flying with an almost carbon-copy tackle. Despite his protests, Steenson was sent off.

Amazingly it strengthened Hyde’s resolve and minutes later Coyne turned in the box to stab in a shot that beat Hansbury but was kicked off the line by Mike Phelan.

The Tigers still looked dangerous on the break but often the Burnley front line had them penned in their own half. With Terry Cook playing well the Hyde defence somehow kept them out. But it was one-way traffic in the main with Darcy, who was later named man of the match, brilliantly turning a Flynn shot around the post and magically keeping out Reeves.

Hyde’s travelling army were magnificent and when Glendon curled one past the post they really made themselves heard.

While Hyde were only a goal down there was hope but with six minutes left Mr Walmsley judged that Cook had fouled Scott in the box, with Reeves acoring from the spot.

It was a harsh decision that was cruel on Hyde, but Burnley’s pressure in the second half fully justified a second goal. And losing 2-0 to a team of this standing is hardly a disgrace.

At the end of the game Hyde’s players and officials stood in the middle of the field applauding their fans. The supporters reciprocated…the Tigers had lost but oh, they made it difficult for Burnley’s stars.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2021. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.