An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 22nd March 2010
Conference North

Hyde United2D'Laryea (45), Arnold (88)
Stalybridge Celtic1Peyton (23 pen)

Attendance: 706

Hyde United: Mark Halstead, Dean Stott, Mark Lees, Scott McNiven, Chris Lynch, Nathan D'Laryea, Matty Burke, Ricky Mercer, Scott Mooney (Daniel Douglas-Pringle), Kevin Holsgrove (Lee Rick), Nathan Arnold. Subs not used: David McNiven, Ben Rowbotham, Neil Tolson.

Stalybridge Celtic: David Carnell, Richard Battersby, Andrew Smart, Steve Woods, Warren Peyton, Tim Ryan, Dave Hankin (Conner Jennings), Keith Briggs, Michael Twiss (Joe O'Neill), Jody Banim (Lee Dodgson), John Hardiker. Unused Subs: Danny Adams, Matty Barlow

They say lightning never strikes twice, but it did at Ewen Fields on Monday night. For the second time in less than a week, Hyde came from behind against local rivals Stalybridge Celtic by turning in a scintillating second half performance to claim the points.

The threat of relegation has all but gone for the Tigers, but the visitors still have plenty to do to get into the play-offs and their three tough games in the next week will probably determine their destiny.

Stalybridge, with four changes from last week’s team, started the stronger and took the lead on 24 minutes when Michael Twiss found himself in oceans of space behind the Hyde defence. There was a hint of offside, but he was brought down by Mark Halstead. It was a clear penalty, but as the ball was going away from goal, just a yellow for the Hyde ‘keeper. Warren Peyton made no mistake from the spot. The visitors missed a couple more chances and these were to prove decisive.

Hyde clawed their way back with a succession of corners and were ultimately rewarded on the stroke of half time when Nathan D’Laryea, arriving late into the area, stooped low to head Matty Burke’s corner into the net.

The second half, like the previous match, was a totally different affair. Hyde stepped up the tempo and started to create problems for the visitors back four through the pace of the front three. With both sides playing three upfront, it was end to end stuff, but Hyde’s defence superbly marshalled by D’Laryea had the upper hand.

A great run by Nathan Arnold set up Kevin Holsgrove, but Dave Carnell saved at the second attempt, Holsgrove twice should have done better after thrilling runs, but it was now all Hyde as Burke and Arnold both had efforts just wide. With just two minutes remaining, Arnold found space at the corner of the area and just squeezed his shot inside the far post to clinch the points for Hyde. Stalybridge had nothing left in the tank despite the introduction of three substitutes and Hyde hung on for victory.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2021. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.