An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 3rd November 2001
F.A. Trophy 1st Round

Ossett Town1Beaumont (6)
Hyde United1Own Goal (90)

Attendance: 216

Ossett Town: Lee Bracey, Chris Stabb, Adam gray, Ryan Gray, Brendan Aspinall, Paul Ryan, Matty Smithard, Chris Shaw, Scott Jackson, Chris Beaumont, Paul Sykes. Subs: Paul Jones, Michael Amos, Richard Hand, Darren Conway, Danny McLaughlin

Hyde United: Richard Acton, John Foster, Matty Taylor, Neil Critchley, Dale Hawtin, Peter Band, Chris Young, Steve Foster (Gavin Salmon), Simon Yeo (Lee Matthews), Gareth Liddle, David Nolan. Subs not used: Martin Doherty, Steve Lyons, Josh Howard.

The Tigers couldn't have got off to a worse start in this FA Trophy tie at Ingfield with veteran Chris Beaumont latching onto a Paul Sykes pass to shoot Ossett into a 6th minute lead. Hyde should have got level soon after when John Foster burst into the penalty area but chose to pass instead of testing Lee Bracey in the Town goal. In the Hyde goal, Richard Acton had to make a good save to deny an Adam Gray free kick from 25 yards. Chris Shaw then went close for Ossett on 17 minutes after Peter Band had played him in by mistake but the midfielder shot wide of the target. Four minutes from the break a poor clearance from Bracey gave Simon Yeo a chance but he failed to capitalize by shooting straight at the relieved keeper. Scott Jackson then got through a minute before the interval for Ossett but Foster got back to tackle in the nick of time. On 52 minutes Beaumont went close with an acrobatic effort after a cross from the right as the first division high flyers looked to make certain of the victory. Hyde were hard done by soon after when a Simon Yeo knockdown played in Peter Band who whilst rounding the goalkeeper was felled in the area, it looked a clear cut penalty but the referee waved play on. On 62 minutes it could have been over as a corner was swung in for Ossett and Beaumont hit the post with a free header. On 69 minutes the Tigers thought they were really up against it as a Peter Band strike was ruled out for offside when he wasn't even close to the Ossett back line, a bizarre decision that saw Simon Yeo booked for protesting. On 72 minutes Band struck the crossbar from close range after Neil Critchley pulled the ball back inside the area. Ossett were reduced to ten men on 77 minutes when Adam Gray was dismissed for a vicious tackle on David Nolan a long time after the ball had gone, he couldn't really complain as he jumped in above the knee, this was a result of the match officials lack of control finally showing through as the game reached boiling point. On 82 minutes Lee Matthews raced onto a throughball but his finishing let him down when he was in a good position. The Hyde equaliser came just into stoppage time when Neil Critchley crossed in the box and Ossett's Chris Beaumont made a hash of his attempted clearance slicing the ball past the stranded Lee Bracey and into the corner of the goal. It could have been even better a few moments later as Peter Band crossed into the area and David Nolan headed just wide meaning a replay on Thursday evening.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2021. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.