An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 7th February 2009
Conference North

Southport2Lynch (Own Goal) (36), Daly (90)
Hyde United0

Attendance: 851

Southport: McMillan, Lee, Lever, Davis, Flynn, Powell, Booth, Winn, Daly, Whalley, McGinn. Subs: Connolly, Drench, Kilheeney, Gray, Duffy

Hyde United: Craig Dootson, Chris Cooke (Lee Rick), Adam Oakes (Neil Tolson), Neil Fitzhenry, Farrell Kilbane, Mark Innes, Chris Lynch, Tom Manship, Daniel Douglas-Pringle (Joel Igenoza), David Morley, Nicky Clee. Subs not used: Karl Munroe, Elliot Bernstein.

The Tigers problems started before the kick off at Haig Avenue, with leading scorer Chris Simm absent through illness and Carl Lomax declaring himself unavailable. Craig Dootson returned in goal for the Tigers after injury with defender Dave Morley partnering Daniel Douglas-Pringle up front in a make shift side.

Southport applied early pressure on the Hyde defence, forcing several corners, but the best chance came to Hyde when they were awarded a free kick 20 yards from goal. Tom Manship’s direct kick skimmrd the top of the bar. Matty McGinn had a great chance to open the scoring for the Sandgrounders with a free header going wide.

The opening goal came on 35 minutes when Craig Dootson made a great save from a Kevin Lee shot only for the ball to rebound off Chris Lynch into the empty net.

The Tigers made a change at the start of the second half with Lee Rick replacing the disappointing Chris Cooke. Southport had a chance to increase their lead when a McGinn free kick went to the far post where Michael Powell caught the defence napping, but was unable to connect.

Manager Neil Tolson came on to replace Adam Oakes and immediately had a chance driving a low shot at the Southport keeper. Then Tolson received a yellow card for a reckless challenge on Lever. Although the Tigers were still in the game being just a goal down, they were not convincing about grabbing an equaliser.

Duffy had a shot was came off the Tigers wall for a free kick, from the resulting corner Flynn’s low shot from inside the area was cleared off the line by Rick.

With minutes remaining Mark Innes had a chance to equalise but his header was straight at keeper McMillan. Then with stoppage time looming Port increased their lead when Neil Fitzhenry’s clearance went straight to Ashley Winn who fed the ball through to Daly to run onto. With the Tigers defence appealing for offside Daly low shot went past Dootson into the net.

After a disappointing game the Tigers need to regroup for this week’s vital home game against Hucknall Town and hope they will have more strikers available for selection.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.