An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 29th November 2008
Conference North

Gateshead6Novak (9), Phillips (26, 37, 75 pen), Harwood (29), Southern (85)
Hyde United3Simm (48 pen), Tolson (53), Kilbane (73)

Attendance: 273

Gateshead: Musslewaite, Baxter, Smith, Gate, Holloway, Jones, Harwood, Turnbull, Armstrong, Novak, Phillips.

Hyde United: Craig Dootson, Karl Munroe, Adam Oakes, Chris Brass, Farrell Kilbane, Chris Lynch, David Owens, Mark Innes (Tom Manship), Chris Simm, Matthew Berkeley (Neil Tolson), Nicky Clee. Subs not used: Lee Rick, Gerry Harrison, Elliot Bernstein.

At the end of a troubled week for the Tigers, Gateshead grabbed four first half goals, just like they did at Ewen Fields a month before, and Hyde finished up conceding 12 in the week.

However that doesn’t tell the whole story. From four goals down at the break, Hyde created a multitude of chances in the second half, pulled it back to 4-3 only for referee Mr Greenwood to award a dubious penalty from which Gateshead scored on the third rebound with the help of a hand. It was that sort of afternoon for the Tigers. Still the chances came for Hyde, but it was the home side who grabbed another at the death to rub salt into their wounds.

The Tigers contrived to miss three one on ones and even in the first half they probably had the balance of the play. One had to feel sorry for ‘keeper, Craig Dootson, who again played well despite the goals going in around him. He pulled off a string of fine saves including a brilliant stop from a Wayne Phillips penalty. He blocked two more follow-up efforts before the ball was bundled home with the help of a hand. The penalty incident happened in front of the assistant when Mark Innes made an innocuous tackle. He gave a goal kick before the referee, who had an absolute nightmare, and fully 30 yards from the incident pointed to the spot.

Lee Novak opened the scoring on 9 minutes and Phillips grabbed the second as the floodgates opened on the frozen pitch. Jamie Harwood got the third and then Philips scored via a deflection, but Hyde had chances too. Farrell Kilbane, Chris Simm and Neil Tolson should have all done better when well placed.

After the break Hyde stormed downfield and created four chances in as many minutes as Gateshead fell apart before Simm was pushed to the floor by Darren Holloway with the goal at his mercy. Simm scored easily from the spot but the defender got off card free. Tolson immediately hooked home Hyde’s second and then Kilbane made up for his earlier miss by getting the third. Karl Munroe blasted over from six yards as the chances came thick and fast. Just when it looked the impossible may happen, Gateshead got heir penalty and despite some close shaves thereafter always had just about enough in hand.

An unbelievable game on a tricky surface but the bare facts you cannot expect anything from a game when you give the opposition a four goal start. In the month Hyde have conceded 23 goals, eleven of them to Gateshead and scored 12 themselves for an astonishing tally of 35 in just four weeks.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.