An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 29th August 2005
Conference North

Hyde United2Salt (41), Brackenridge (88)
Alfreton Town3White (40, 78), Blount (90)

Attendance: 433

Hyde United: Mark Westhead, Chris Lynch, Paul Armstrong, Paul Jones, Jamie Milligan, John O'Kane, Steve Brackenridge, Phil Salt, Craig Dudley (Wayne Dean), Dale Johnson, Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Lincoln Adams, Nicky Allen, Joel Pilkington, David Moore.

Alfreton Town: Smith (G), Clarke, Turner, Robinson, Blount, Donovan, Blunt, Fisher, Ross, Duffield, White. Subs: Stevenson, Nwadike, Powell, Woolley. Smith (S).

Report by Tony Beard:

Hyde again found the going tough on Monday night as they conceded a goal two minutes into injury time to suffer another reverse in a game they should have won comfortably. After the game Steve Waywell said he was 'gutted' and it was easy to understand why. With five regulars still missing, the Tigers had still managed to dominate the game, but their defensive frailties were once again on show with nine goals now conceded in the last three games.

The Tigers dominated the first half and John O'Kane, Dale Johnson and Steve Brackenridge had all gone close before Christopher White scored with a sweet left footer from fully twenty five yards on forty minutes. Hyde were level within a minute as a Phil Salt free kick from a long way out drifted past an unsighted Gregg Smith.

It was still all Hyde in the second period and when they did manage to get a shot on target, they found Smith in fine form. With twelve minutes remaining, Matty McNeil was adjudged to have fouled Ryan Clarke, when it looked like a handball from the defender. The free kick was drifted in and White was on hand to lash the ball home with a deflection off O'Kane. He showed his frustration by kicking the ball out of the ground and was rightly booked.

A grandstand finish followed with Hyde storming upfield and Brackenridge, who had been excellent throughout, scored with two minutes remaining. There was still time for Wayne Dean to be thwarted by a brave Smith before Alfreton went forward deep into injury time and Mark Westhead's punch fell straight to Neil Ross who headed it back for Mark Blount to head an unlikely winner.

It was hard on Hyde who had played some excellent football throughout, but they are learning the hard way that mistakes at the back are severely punished at this level and Waywell knows he needs to address this without delay.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.