An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Tuesday 10th October 2006
Conference North

Lancaster City2Mulholland (8), Black (45)
Hyde United3Gedman (4), Seddon (7, 55)

Attendance: 251

Lancaster City: Kennedy, Wynne, Wiggins, Helliwell, Love, Barnes, Elderton, King, Quayle, Black, Mulholland. Subs: Durnan, Galley, Marshall. Sent Off: Quayle

Hyde United: Craig Dootson, David German, Chris Lynch, Earl Davis, Mike Flynn, Nathan Wharton (Danny Caldecott), Paul Armstrong (Gerry Harrison), Steve Pickford, Dale Johnson, Gareth Seddon, Paul Gedman. Subs not used: Lee Rick, Lincoln Adams, Steve Brackenridge.

A potential banana skin this for the Tigers with Lancaster going into this game having lost a number of players following off the field problems, whilst Hyde needed to bounce back after Saturday’s defeat at Droylsden.

In the event it was an exciting incident packed game with the home side showing tremendous spirit in adversity, whilst the Tigers should have made their superiority count in the first half and killed the game by half-time. A controversial goal, a disallowed goal and a sending off; this game had it all! However there were no problems with the pitch this time around after the abandonment at the start of September

The Tigers roared into a two goal lead within seven minutes, but the expected avalanche never materialised as the home side battled all the way. Good work by Gareth Seddon set up Paul Gedman after only four minutes and he missed another chance a minute later having been set up again. Seddon was in on the act again within two minutes as he rifled home from the edge of the area, but Hyde were pegged back a minute later as Luke Mulholland hooked in from close range.

Hyde were playing well with three upfront and Dale Johnson was having his best game for some time, but after Hyde had failed to increase their lead despite creating the chances, the half finished in dramatic style. First Ryan Zico Black, who had a superb game for the home side and had previously hit the bar, set up Ryan Elderton who found the net only to be ruled offside. With just seconds remaining, the Assistant flagged again for offside. The referee did not see the flag initially and blew for a subsequent free-kick for Lancaster. With Hyde expecting a free-kick to them, Black chipped the ball home much to the astonishment of all around. Even more astonishing was the fact the referee allowed the goal to stand despite a consultation with his assistant and protests from the Hyde team. He immediately blew the half time whistle and the officials were left with plenty to ponder as they drunk their tea, as to how they could contrive to get such an easy decision wrong.

Lancaster had an early chance in the second half, but the Tigers were still on top, although it must be said the defence looked decidedly suspect whenever the home side ran at them. Hyde’s lead was restored on 55 minutes after Johnson had superbly laid the ball to Seddon for him to score easily. Three minutes later, former Tiger Mark Quayle aimed a kick at Steve Pickford and was shown a straight red card, but even with 10 men for the last half hour, Lancaster would not lie down, but Hyde hung on for an important victory, which moves them four places up the table. The final whistle brought relief all round.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.