An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 16th September 2006
Conference North

Workington3Johnston (3), Wright (23), Gordon (90)
Hyde United1Eyres (52)

Attendance: 519

Workington: Collin, Gray, Inglis, May, Cowan, Henney, Anthony, Hopper, Johnston, Goulding, Wright. Subs: Douglas, Nicholson, Gordon, Summersgill

Hyde United: Craig Dootson, Lincoln Adams, Chris Lynch (Danny Caldecott), Nathan Wharton, Mike Flynn, Earl Davis (David German), Gerry Harrison (Steve Brackenridge), Steve Pickford, Dale Johnson, Gareth Seddon, David Eyres. Subs not used: Nicky Hill, Steve Smith.

Report by Tony Beard.

Hyde made the long trip to Cumbria on Saturday and for the first half looked like they were still admiring the scenery with a most inept performance that gifted the home side two goals and but for the efforts of Mike Flynn and Craig Dootson could have been considerably more.

The Tigers were a goal down after only three minutes as Craig Johnston fired home and went two down on twenty three minutes when Anthony Wright slotted home following a superb save from the unlucky Dootson.

Mike Flynn suffered a bad cut on his eyelid and battled on manfully to become ‘man of the match’. It was a shame others did not show his commitment to the cause. Firstly he had to change his shirt because of the blood and then he had to be regularly ‘cleaned up’ despite a bandaged head. He needed five stitches when he attended the local hospital after the game.

Steve Waywell showed his frustration at the interval by withdrawing Earl Davis and Gerry Harrison and introducing David German, back from injury and Steve Brackenridge. The changes had an immediate effect as Hyde stormed back from the start and David Eyres pulled a goal back on 52 minutes when a long throw from Flynn was headed on to the far post and he was on hand to shoot home. It was now all Hyde and Dale Johnson had the ball in the net five minutes later, but he was adjudged to have fouled the ‘keeper. It was a harsh decision.

This was certainly becoming a ‘game of two halves’ as Hyde continued to put the Workington defence under severe pressure. Eyres struck the bar with a free kick, and from the resultant corner, Lincoln Adams headed against the post. The ball just wouldn’t go in the net and with seconds remaining, the home side broke clear and substitute Wayne Gordon scored a stunning goal.

There was still time for Flynn to head narrowly over, but the Tigers had left themselves with a mountain to climb on this sunny afternoon in the Lake District after such a woeful first half performance.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.