An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 27th November 2004
F.A. Trophy 2nd Round

Kendal Town1Mayers (83)
Hyde United1Salt (7)

Attendance: 174

Kendal Town: Thornley, Rigby, McKenna, Whitall-Williams, Taylor, Mercer, Smith(P), Woodruffe, Foster, Mayers, Ashcroft. Subs: Burrow, Clitheroe, Galley, Jack, Smith(G)

Hyde United: Tim Mullock, Chris Lynch (Carl Barrowclough), Nicky Hill, Andy Waine, Craig Buckley, John O'Kane, John Gaynor, Phil Salt, Neil Tolson, Dale Johnson (Wayne Dean), Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Tony Ellis, Paul Jones, Mike Meszaros.

As expected this game proved to be a lot more difficult than the cup-tie 12 days previous as Kendal battled every inch of the way and were rewarded with a late equaliser to take the match back to Hyde.

The Tigers who were without Paul Jones, Jamie Milligan and Steven Clegg had a dream start as Phil Salt shot them in front after just seven minutes with one into the top corner. He had already come close but Mark Thornley had managed to scramble the ball away. Hyde dominated the rest of the half and gave Thornley a torrid time. The pitch was difficult and the heavy drizzle made the ball greasy. Neil Tolson came the closest to adding another, but again Thornley managed to beat the ball away.

The second half was a different story as Kendal stepped up the pace. They battled and harried for every ball and Hyde could not repeat the control of the first half, although the midfield three covered every inch of the ground, with Salt having his best game for some time. They were not helped by some bizarre decisions from the officials, but Kendal would say they were not helped either.

With the Tigers on the back foot, Tim Mullock produced a wonder save to thwart Peter Smith, but could do nothing six minutes from time after Kenny Mayers was allowed to turn in the box and slide the ball home. Kendal deserved their goal, but the build-up was a bit hard on Hyde as John Gaynor collected a booking for an innocuous tackle and the goal came from the resultant free-kick.

Time for a frantic finish. Kendal struck the woodwork and Matty McNeil missed a glorious chance at the end to clinch it. A pulsating cup tie which had everything, but it was a shame the Officials did not perform to the same level as some of the players. Mullock rightly collected the Man of the Match award for his superb handling throughout but was run close by Nicky Hill.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.