An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 24th January 2004
Northern Premier League Chairman's Cup Quarter-Final

Hyde United2Tolson (86), Buckley (116)
Wakefield-Emley1Tonks (3)
(after extra time)

Attendance: 282

Hyde United: Tim Mullock, Steven Clegg, Ian Pendlebury (Craig Buckley), Paul Jones, Andy Waine (Lee Madin), John O'Kane, Nicky Hill, Phil Salt, Neil Tolson, Kieran Delaney, Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Tony Ellis.

Wakefield-Emley: Cuss, Nicholson, Selby, Joyce, Wood, Bairstow, Tonks, Washington, Fearon, Wilson, Kenworthy. Subs: Day, Murphy, Clarke.

Hyde progressed to the semi-finals of the Unibond Chairman's Cup, with a victory over Premier Division Wakefield and Emley, but left it late to equalize and then just as late in extra-time to seal a fully deserved victory with a bizarre goal..

The Tigers welcomed back Paul Jones after his four match ban, but John Gaynor and long term casualty, Jamie Milligan, were missing from their wafer-thin squad.

The match got off to an exciting start and there were chances at both ends before Robert Tonks shot Wakefield into a third minute lead. The Tigers then started to dominate, but just couldn't find the target. They were not helped by some eccentric decisions from the referee and he was especially lenient as Wakefield showed a physical part to their game. Midfielder Andy Waine appeared to be the target, but he kept his composure well.

The second half continued where the first had left off with Hyde having all the play, creating chances, but generally firing over the bar. Craig Buckley took over from Ian Pendlebury and pushed the Tigers forward. Waine had a brilliant effort tipped over. Unfortunately for Wakefield, defender Max Joice kicked his foot as he attempted to tackle and was taken to hospital with a suspected broken ankle. Lee Madin was introduced for the last quarter and he added some spark up-front. The Tigers thought they had equalised on 75 minutes when Matty McNeil rounded the 'keeper to score, only to be belatedly flagged for offside. This seemed to be a balacing decision from the Assistant as the referee had failed to give Wakefield a free kick seconds earlier. It was the type of decision which can turn games, but still the Tigers piled forwards.

Neil Tolson should have had a penalty on 80 minutes as he was pulled back in the area. No decision this time from the assistant, but with just four minutes left Tolson rose to head home. Still time for a couple more chances and then extra time.

By now it was all Hyde with Wakefield content to defend and play for penalties. Not for the first time this season the young Hyde side showed their stamina as the opposition wilted under the pressure. With just four minutes to go and as Steve Waywell was preparing his list of penalty takers for the second time in the week, a brilliant flowing movement from the back, set up Madin. His screaming shot was going miles wide until it struck Bugsy on the side of his face to rebound into the far corner of the net. A large bruise for him, but a winning goal to bring a surreal end to a match the Tigers should have won by some distance..

John O'Kane won the man of the match award, but many could have had justifiable claims to it, especially Steve Clegg and Matty McNeil who caused Wakefield problems down the flanks throughout.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.