An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 13th March 2000
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Hyde United1Yeo (73)
Leigh RMI2Black (28), Cumiskey (47)

Attendance: 903

Hyde United: Graham Bennett, John Foster, Paul Robertson, Brendan Aspinall (Steve Tobin), Gus Wilson, Peter Band (Ally Pickering), Martin McDonald, Neil Hall (Stuart Walker), Simon Yeo, Jody Banim, Karl Marginson

Leigh RMI: O'Connor, German, Wallace, Swann, Turkington, Harris, Jones, Ridings, Ross, Black, Cumiskey. Subs: Matthews for Black, Locke, Bold.

Leigh came to Ewen Fields as league leaders and on eight minutes they had an excellent opportunity to open the scoring. Black got away down the right and crossed for Brian Ross who missed the target with just Bennett to beat. Straight away Hyde came back, Peter Band getting clear but taking one touch too any allowing Turkington to tackle. The visitors went ahead in the 28th minute, Tony Black bursting away from the Hyde defence before calmly knocking the ball over the advancing Bennett. Hyde then squandered a number of chances, a cross from the left was met with a glancing Band header which drifted wide, a game of pinball inside the Leigh penalty area for over thirty seconds yet the visitors cleared, McDonald's cross to the back post met by Band and cleared from under the crossbar by Ross and a Marginson header which was stopped on the line by a mixture of goalkeeper and defender. Just before the break a rare mistake by Gus Wilson let Brian Ross in he squared to Matthews but the former Guiseley forward miskicked with the goal at his mercy. A bright move inside the first minute of the second half saw Marginson clip the ball wide after Banim and Hall had combined. Leigh went two ahead on 47 minutes, a poor free kick by Peter Cuminsky went straight at Bennett who proceeded to allow the ball through his legs for a soft goal. Cuminsky then wove in from the left to shoot but this time Bennett made the most of his hands and tipped the ball round the post.After that it was all Hyde, Jody Banim got away from the defence, O'Connor saved his shot, Tobin picked up the loose ball and blazed over an emptygoal. O'Connor saved again from a curling Banim shot. Yeo headed over from Banim's cross and Paul Robertson's twenty yard shot was just the wrong side of the upright. A quick free kick led to Banim shooting, O'Connor parrying, Yeo followed up but O'Connor stopped the second effort as well. On 73 minutes Simon Yeo got behind the defence and rolled the ball past O'Conner to set up an interesting last twenty minutes. Jody Banim's shot from twelve yards was then deflected wide, Yeo had the ball in the net again only for the linesman to raise his flag, just to even things up Leigh also had a goal ruled out for offside. In the final minute Yeo was tripped in the area by the outstretched arm of O'Connor just ten yards away from the linesman but nothing was given. In injury time Robertson's free kick was headed against the crossbar by Yeo, almost as if to prove that it just wasn't our night.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.