An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 21st March 2015
Conference North

AFC Fylde1Lloyd (49)
Hyde FC1Masterson (61)

Attendance: 481

AFC Fylde: AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hughes, Sumner, Langley, Hannigan (C), Baker, Blinkhorn (Booth), Wilson (Tomsett), Rowe, Lloyd, Charles (Allen). Subs not used: Denson, Mullen.

Hyde FC: Ed Wilczynski, James Burke, Kyle Brownhill, Jack Pritchard, Josh Brizell, Luke Giverin, Erike Sousa, Andrew Pearson, Ryan Masterson, Ben Holmes, Connor Hughes. Subs not used: George Riley, Josh Broadbent, Jake Hibbs, Pete Boyle, Lee Gregory.

Hyde FC put in a battling performance at promotion-chasing AFC Fylde, but it wasn't enough as Hyde’s relegation from the Vanarama North was confirmed despite the 1-1 draw.

The Tigers’ result have picked up significantly recently with only one defeat in the last seven games. However, even the most optimistic Hyde fan knew that safety was probably out of reach for the Tigers this season, with the games now running out fast.

The game at Fylde was a tense affair, just as it was last month at Ewen Fields when the two sides played out a 1-1 draw. Yesterday, the result of the game was the same, but Hyde knew going into the game that probably only a win would save them from the drop, despite the various permutations. Second-bottom Colwyn Bay clawed themselves out of the drop-zone with a 2-0 win over Harrogate, enough to condemn Hyde to relegation.

The Tigers weathered a Fylde storm for most of the first-half, but the sides went in at half-time with the score still at 0-0. Fylde were top of the table before yesterday’s game, they came out with the same intensity and took the lead just before the 50th minute through Danny Lloyd. Ryan Masterson leveled for the Tigers with his third league goal of the season to send the travelling Hyde into delirium, to keep faint hopes of surviving the drop for another game before news of other results filtered through.

The home side started the brighter and saw two early chances go begging in the first five minutes. First, a dangerous free-kick into the Hyde box was met by Danny Rowe, he wasted the opportunity and volleyed wide. Rowe was again involved minutes later as he headed just wide following a corner from Richie Barker.

Ed Wilczynski has come on leaps and bounds in recent weeks and he was once again Hyde’s savior with an impressive performance in the Hyde goal. Ex-Tiger Matty Blinkhorn had several clear-cut chances but he was unable to beat Wilczynski, even with a one-on-one chance which the Hyde keeper did brilliantly to come out and bravely smother the ball off Blinkhorn's feet.

Hyde had few chances in the opening 20 minutes bar a pop-shot from Luke Giverin that went way over. However, Hyde were getting joy down the flanks, Connor Hughes and Erike Sousa proved live-wires throughout. Hughes had Hyde’s first meaningful chance just before the half-hour mark. Hughes playing on the left-wing as he has in recent weeks, he cut inside onto his favored right-foot and sent a shot from 20 yards out just wide.

Hyde enjoyed their best spell of the half and had another decent chance when Liam Brownhill broke forward and struck a powerful, low drive but it was straight at Ben Hinchliffe in the Fylde goal.

These chances perhaps acted as a wake-up call to the automatic-promotion chasing hosts, as they were prevented from taking the lead by more brilliance from Wilcynski. Danny Rowe had a powerful low free-kick saved by Wilczynski, before Dion Charles was beaten in a one-on-one duel with Wilcynski, Danny Lloyd then sent a fantastic volley from 20 yards that went just past the post.

Despite this pressure from the hosts the two side went in level at half-time. However, just four minutes into the second-half Fylde got their goal. Fylde had the ball in-and-around the Hyde box, the chance looked to have gone before it fell to Lloyd at the far post, where he obliged as Wilczynski was finally beaten. Lloyd had a chance to double his side’s lead just minutes later, he was put through one-on-one but the Hyde keeper wasn't prepared to be beaten again, as he got the better of Lloyd this time as he got down well to save a powerful shot from 12 yards.

It was just before the hour-mark when Masterson got his goal to delight of the traveling Hyde contingent. The Irishman Masterson burst into the box and struck a low, driven shot past Hinchcliffe to equalise the game.

Hyde were buoyed by the leveler and went close when Ben Holmes attempted an audacious overhead-kick following a cross from Sousa, the shot went just over. The Coasters nearly took the lead when a volley from Lloyd was blocked off the line by Hyde-sub Jack Pritchard. The young Tigers side can take heart from the fact that they have twice held past league-leaders Fylde in recent weeks.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.