An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 22nd November 2014
Conference North

Chorley3Doyle (35), Simm (37), Stephenson (73)
Hyde FC2Bentham (3, 10)

Attendance: 1125

Chorley: A. Grundy, C. Doyle, M. Ross, H. Winter, J. Cottrell, A. Mather, A. Roscoe (J. Dean), D. Whitham, C. Simm, J. Hine (C. Almond), D. Stephenson. Subs Not Used: K. Jacobs, P. Jarvis, S. Ashton.

Hyde FC: Connor Hunt, Josh Brizell, Adam Blakeman, Alex McQuade, Matthew Flynn, Adam Thurston, Connor Hughes (Rhys Day), Louis Almond, Tom Bentham, Ted Cribley (Jordan Bove), Luke Giverin. Subs not used: George Riley, Pete Boyle, D'Arcy O'Connor.

Hyde will once again be wondering how they’ve come away from a game without a point to show for their efforts, after they squandered a two-goal lead and were on the wrong end of a 3-2 score-line at Victory Park

The Tigers stunned the home side, as they raced into a two-goal lead thanks to a Tom Bentham Double. The Tigers again had more than enough chances to extend their lead before Chorley rallied and evened the scores going into half-time, they added a third late on to secure their eighth home win of the season.

Manager Scott McNiven gave debuts to his two new signings; central defender Mathew Flynn, as well as on-loan Everton goal-keeper Connor Hunt.

Chorley went into the game buoyed by an impressive 3-0 win over Stockport in midweek. Darren Stephensen bagged two goals that night, he also scored three goals in the reverse of this fixture that finished 3-3 earlier in the season. He looked impressive throughout this game, even winning himself the sponsors’ Man of the Match award.

That man Stephensen created the game’s first chance, as found space within the first minute of the game inside the penalty area, but shot straight at Hunt in Hyde’s goal.

Hyde weren’t phased by the home side’s early pressure, quite the opposite. With Hyde’s first attack just inside the three minute-mark, Bentham found space inside the box and struck a superbly-hit shot that bounced into the bottom right-hand corner of Aaron Grundy’s goal.

Chorley tried to recompose themselves but it was the away side who would score next. Bentham was again the scorer, he rose highest to nod in a Hyde corner. Home fans and players alike were shell-shocked following this quickfire salvo.

High-flying Chorley were quicker on their feet following the second goal going in. Jake Cottrell had shot from the edge of the area, but debutant Hunt in the Hyde goal was able to gather the ball.

Nearly 20 minutes in and Hyde were holding firm. It so easily could've been 3-0, Adam Roscoe was guilty of poorly heading the ball back to Grundy only for Bentham to steal in and volley just wide. Following this attempt, Louis Almond tried somewhat a ‘daisy-cutter’ from range, it had Grundy at full-stretch but went just wide of his right-hand post.

It took just over half-an-hour for the hosts to have their first real chance. A Chorley corner led to a goal-mouth scramble, first, Cottrell struck the bar before Chris Simm blasted the follow-up way over.

Chorley would have the goal their pressure warranted just minutes later. Defender Chirs Doyle scored his first goal for the club as he got on the end of another Stephenson cross, just managing slide in and tip it past Hunt in the Hyde goal after 35 minutes.

The Magpies were level two minutes later. Chris Simm with his first goal since his return to Chorley, Hunt saved his first effort superbly but unfortunately for him, and Hyde, he followed up well and buried the rebound.

The second-half failed to sparkle as the first had. It took around 20 minutes for the two teams to find their feet, Chorley had the impetus as they forced a succession of corners, but they ultimately came to nothing.

The first real chance came shortly after substitute James Dean came on for Chorley in the 70th minute. Their leading scorer knocked the ball on for fellow substitute Craig Almond, who with only the keeper to beat, found the side netting.

Chorley were edging it and grabbed the winner in the 73rd minute. Darren Stephensen cooly finished past Hunt inside the box after a sliced ball fell kindly to the striker, who notched his 4th goal against Hyde this season.

Hyde’s heads didn’t drop after this, they nearly found an immediate way back into the game. Bentham’s bullet-header looked a certain goal as it headed for the top-right corner, but Grundy pulled of a fantastic save to tip it onto the bar and then out for a corner.

This was Hyde’s last meaningful attack of the game as Chorley held strong and defended their lead. Chorley move back to 3rd in the table, meanwhile up next for the Tigers is an away trip to Tamworth in the F.A Trophy.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.