An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Wednesday 5th March 2014
Manchester Premier Cup Semi-Final

New Mills3Grimshaw (2 goals), Baguley
Hyde FC4Own Goal, Carlton (2 goals), Hughes

Attendance: 93

New Mills: Peter Collinge, Danny Shaw (Michael Smith), Danny Caldecott, Ross Davidson, Jacob Wood, Danny Hewitt, Dominic Welsby (Jamie Baguley), Melford Knight (Michael Fish), James Hampson, Wes Bancroft, Daniel Grimshaw. Subs Not Used: Daryl Weston, Calvin Hare.

Hyde FC: Ashley Frith, Josh Brizell, Josh Morrell, Andrew Fitzgerald, Rhys Day (Connor Hughes), Kelvin Lomax, Adam Thurston, Liam Tomsett, Danny Carlton (Damase Kiwanda), Jordan Clark (James Kirby), Jake Pollard. Subs not used: Alex Brown, Adam Blakeman. Sent off: Josh Brizell.

Hyde FC sealed their place in the Manchester Premier Cup final for the first time since 2008 after winning a pulsating seven goal thriller at New Mills last night.

By George Corrin

Connor Hughes bagged Hyde’s winner as the Millers almost staged an incredible second half comeback after Danny Carlton had helped put the Tigers 3-0 up at half time.

In an ill tempered affair, referee John Walton was in the thick of the action as he awarded two penalties and a red card in a fiery second half.

New Mills captain Daniel Grimshaw endured a mixed evening which saw him score twice but also miss a penalty and commit an embarrassing own goal.

On a chilly Wednesday night, it was the Evo-Stik outfit that started the brightest with Wes Bancroft forcing Ashley Frith into a fine save early on.

Hyde soon opened the scoring, courtesy of a comical moment of defending from the home side. Following great link up play from Josh Morrell and Jake Pollard, Morrell then delivered a tame cross across the New Mills area, but a retreating Grimshaw got himself into an almighty mess and scooped the loose ball into his own net to give Scott McNiven’s men an early 1-0 lead.

The Tigers doubled their tally minutes later after Pollard played Danny Carlton through on goal, the ex-Morecambe forward then coolly slotted the ball between the advancing Peter Collinge's legs to make it 2-0 Hyde.

New Mills almost pulled one back as Danny Shaw’s header clipped the Hyde post and the resulting rebound just eluded a poised James Hampson

Hyde captain for the evening, Josh Brizell, soon stung the palms of Collinge with a fierce 20-yard drive.

Shortly after, Hyde made it 3-0 with Danny Carlton wonderfully flicking in Brizell’s pin point cross to put the visitors into a comfortable half time lead.

However, Roy Soule’s side came out fighting and soon pulled one back through Grimshaw. The Millers captain atoned from his first half error by firing under Frith to give the home side a glimmer of hope.

The glimmer became a flash just moments later as Andy Fitzgerald’s clumsy challenge on Danny Hewitt saw John Walton award a penalty to New Mills. Grimshaw calmly stepped up and drilled his penalty into the bottom right corner to bring the game to 3-2.

Tempers really began to flare at Church Lane as following a late challenge on Liam Tomsett both Rhys Day and Melford Knight became involved in a heated verbal slanging match.

Hyde’s nerves were settled briefly as Connor Hughes grabbed the Tigers’ fourth of the game. The goal started from some excellent build up play between Damase Kiwanda and Jake Pollard, soon Hughes was given a clear run on goal and the ex-Oldham Athletic man made no mistake by slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

There was still time for more drama in the semi-final tie as New Mills were awarded yet another penalty after Brizell’s handball in the area, the furious captain then confronted referee John Walton and was subsequently shown a red card.

Grimshaw once again stepped up to the spot but this time his penalty rattled the crossbar. The Tigers failed to properly clear the rebound resulting in the ball falling to Jaime Baguley, the substitutes 30-yard effort ricochet off a cowering Michael Fish and into the Hyde to make the score 4-3.

In tense final few minutes Scott McNiven’s men just held on to clinch their place in the Manchester Premier Cup final.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.