An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 11th October 2014
Conference North

Hednesford Town4Glover (4, 29, 68 pen), Westwood (62)
Hyde FC1Hughes (90 pen)

Attendance: 504

Hednesford Town: Crane, Melbourne, Campion, Bailey, Westwood, Crowther (Love), Osborne, Peers (Ashmore), Glover, Sullivan (Diggin), Thorley. Subs Not Used: Robinson, Price.

Hyde FC: Billy O'Brien, Josh Brizell, Kyle Brownhill, Kelvin Lomax, Alex McQuade, Connor Hughes, Reece Gray, Luke Giverin (D'Arcy O'Connor), Adam Blakeman (George Riley), Steve Tames, Tom Bentham. Subs not used: Joe Conchie, George West, David McNiven.

by Jake Ashton

In what was a very poor game neither team really looked to get going, with the ball being hoofed in the air on numerous occasions. The home side took the lead on the third minute thanks to a superb free kick from Danny Glover from around 25 yards out. The effort was dispatched up and over the Hyde wall and Billy O’Brien was left diving, where in fairness two of him couldn’t have saved it, as the effort was straight into the top corner. The actual foul in which the free-kick was given was extremely dubious and after the goal was scored the Hyde players made sure they let the referee know, resulting in a booking for Reece Gray.

Hyde looked to hit back straight away with Tom Bentham threaded through to go one on one but an awful touch by the big man let Town keeper Dan Crane smother the ball. The game then turned ugly with both teams not managing to get the ball under control for more than a couple of passes. There were very few chances between the two sides too after a quarter of the game but the Tigers kept on pushing and had another decent opportunity as Steve Tames was put in with a great long ball over the top, but Crane once again was quick to deny Hyde.

Hednesford then doubled their lead after a mistake from debutant Kelvin Lomax, making his return for the Tigers today, misjudging a punt up field into the box. Paul Sullivan then knocked back a header well into the path of Glover who sweetly struck the ball on the half volley into the corner with help from the post. The Tigers looked to reduce the deficit from kick off with a wonderful chance from Connor Hughes which mirrored Glover’s second goal, but Hughes’s shot came back off the post instead of going in.

Luke Giverin then went close with a free kick that dipped over the wall and onto the roof of the net in a good position on the corner of the box that looked in perfect range for Adam Blakeman. The last chance of half fell to the home side with a free kick of their own which was deflected for O’Brien to save easily.

The second half started as poorly as the first with both sides being sloppy in terms of possession, with the Tigers continuing to give the ball away too much. Hednesford had a 3 goal lead soon after with a rare error from keeper O’Brien, who flapped at a corner that looked easy to catch, and left centre back Westwood to tap in from 2 yards out. Glover then had a chance to get a hat-trick as he rounded the Hyde keeper, but a mixture of Josh Brizell and the post stopped the striker from scoring, before Alex McQuade cleared the follow up off the line.

Glover then did get his hat trick with a penalty, although the decision itself was dubious as McQuade was adjudged to have fouled the striker although the challenge looked fair, and Glover brushed himself off to slot the ball into the corner and finish what was the second hat trick in a week to be scored against the Tigers.

Hyde did get a consolation goal with another penalty when Darren Campion brought down Gray in the box and Hughes converted the same way he did against Chorley to give the Tigers one small positive from the game.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.