An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Thursday 14th December 2000
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Hyde United3Hanson (38, 56), Beeston (85)
Accrington Stanley3Hollis (51), Mullin (54, 80)

Attendance: 455

Hyde United: Graham Bennett, John Foster, Paul Robertson, Mark Beeston, Gus Wilson, Anthony Charles (Peter Band), Matty Taylor, Neil Hall, Simon Yeo, David Hanson, Phil Trainer. Subs not used: Steve Tobin, Lee Wilkinson.

Accrington Stanley: Jamie Speare, Steve Caswell, Steve Hollis, Robbie Williams, Wayne Maddock, Mark Brennan, Russell Payne, Jay Flannery, Mark Ceraolo, Paul Mullin, Simon Carden. Subs: Steve Carragher, Paddi Wilson, Gary Williams

A fitting scoreline between two teams that love to attack but obviously have work to do on their defensive play. Hyde's Dave Hanson should have put the home side ahead within five minutes of the start when he beat the Stanley defence but shot straight at Jamie Speare. Hyde goalkeeper Graham Bennett made a good save from a Steve Hollis free-kick which curled round the wall as Accrington started to make chances. On 22 minutes Russell Payne broke clear of Hyde's John Foster and fired past Bennett from 20 yards only to be denied by the post. If that was a let off for the home side they were even luckier five minutes later when Mark Ceraolo found himself in acres of space with just Bennett to beat but the goalkeeper made a great save to parry his shot round the post. The chances swung Hyde's way just before half-time and only a last ditch tackle from Wayne Maddock stopped Hanson opening the scoring. Hyde went ahead on 38 minutes with a lovely move down the left. Anthony Charles, making his debut, set Simon Yeo away and his cross was headed home by Dave Hanson. On 51 minutes it was all level when Accrington were awarded a free kick twenty yards out, having gone close earlier Steve Hollis wasn't to be denied this time as his powerful shot flew past the Hyde wall and into the goal. Three minutes later Stanley were ahead. A Free kick was taken quickly and caught the Hyde defence knapping as Paul Mullin steered home a free header from 8 yards out. It took only 2 minutes for Hyde to get back on terms, a Paul Robertson cross was glanced home by the head of Dave Hanson skidding past Speare on a slippery surface. Accrington went 3-2 up on 80 minutes when an outrageous 40 yard shot from Paul Mullin looped over the hapless Hyde goalkeeper Bennett and dropped into the top right corner. The defences hadn't finished their seasonal goodwill though and on 85 minutes Robertson's corner was headed in at the near post by Mark Beeston as the game ended in a high scoring draw.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.