An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 29th December 2012
Conference Premier

Hyde FC1Griffin (21)

Attendance: 1068

Southport: McMillan, Smith, Grand, Lynch, Willis, Parry, Whalley, Ledsham, Benjamin (Bakare), Poku (Joyce), Almond (Tames). Unused subs: Hibbert, Akrigg.

Hyde FC: David Carnell, Josh Brizell, Adam Griffin, Kelvin Lomax, Luke Ashworth, Alex Brown, Tunji Moses (Chris Sedgwick), Liam Tomsett, Scott Spencer (Matthew Harris), Matthew Blinkhorn (David Poole), Ryan Crowther. Subs not used: Ben Dennis, Callum Byrne.

A resilient rear-guard effort and a sublime Adam Griffin goal ensured Hyde left Southport with all three points.

It was a victory that moved the Tigers up to 9th in the table, on a severely hampered day in the Blue Square Premier.

Hyde started in an attacking manner moving the ball down the right flank, but after the cross came in Scott Spencer just couldn’t get hold of it and it trickled harmlessly wide.

On seven minutes Southport produced a lovely move, that in the end typified most of their early chances.

Karl Ledsham played a lovely one-two that got him in behind, but with a square ball across the box the only real option he sliced the ball horribly wide.

From here on in the hosts started playing a long ball game, but Hyde more than coped with most attempted passes massively over hit.

Godfrey Poku bucked the trend in the 18th minute by hitting a long range effort, it was, however, the perfect height for Dave Carnell to catch and instigate a Hyde attack.

An attack from which they won two corners, the second of which resulted in the games only goal.

Ryan Crowther played the ball short to Griffin in space, and he turned and hit a stunning strike that flew across goal and into the top corner.

For the rest of the half chances came at a premium, with Hyde containing the hosts fairly easily.

Southport were much more pro-active in the second period, but still couldn’t find a way through.

A Ledsham free kick just after the restart found Chris Lynch at the back post who couldn’t make a solid enough connection; moments before Spencer beat the off side trap, but his attempted cut back to Matthew Blinkhorn was cut out by a back tracking defence.

After Carnell was forced into a good save just before the hour mark, Southport had a penalty appeal, for a Liam Tomsett shoulder to shoulder, turned down and Andy Parry headed over from the resulting chipped ball in the box.

Three minutes later and the home side appealed for a penalty again, but Shaun Whalley could’ve been accused of fouling Griffin.

Crowther then had two shots sandwiched by another Carnell save in the fifteen minutes that preceded a frantic finish.

With ten minutes of regular time left Tunji Moses won the ball and a break away was sparked, but the ball to David P:oole was delayed and too heavy when hit and the chance went.

The same man was then hassled off the ball in his own half, with a chance falling to Ledsham in the box but he sliced it well wide.

Eight minutes injury time was indicated, which seemed to ignite Southport as an attacking force.

However, Hyde coped and claimed another famous three points.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.