An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Tuesday 4th September 2012
Conference Premier

Wrexham2Little (78 pen), Harris (90)
Hyde FC0

Attendance: 3176

Wrexham: Mayebi, Wright, Ashton, Riley, Walker, Cieslewicz (Morrell), Harris, Keates, Hunt, Ormerod (Little), Ogleby (Wright). Unused subs: Coughlin, Clarke

Hyde FC: David Carnell, Josh Brizell, Andrew Pearson, Luke Ashworth, Kelvin Lomax, Alex Brown, Matthew Cassidy (Stefan Cox), Liam Tomsett, Ryan Crowther, Scott Spencer, Phil Jevons. Subs not used: Ashley Frith, Grant Spencer, Callum Byrne, Robbie Williams. Sent off: Liam Tomsett.

Hyde slipped to an unfortunate defeat at the hands of Wrexham, after a stunning display saw Scott McNiven’s side more than hold their own for much of the encounter.

Once again it was two familiar problems that led to their downfall though, a mixture of not being clinical in front of goal and some very puzzling refereeing decisions. Paul Reece failed to send off both Jay Harris and Joslain Mayebi, before handing a second yellow to Liam Tomsett for hastily taking a free-kick too quickly.

It was the home side who started the better of the two sides, largely controlling possession and rushing their opponents quickly when not so.

No real chances were carved out though only crosses into the box, which despite being Hyde’s achilles heal of late were dealt with well.

Firstly good work from Adrian Cieslewicz won a free-kick, which Andy Pearson was forced to concede after a poor Matthew Cassidy pass.

On 20 minutes Scott Spencer was unlucky not to convert what could have been a goal of the season contender. Tomsett picked out the front man with a stunning clipped pass over the top; Spencer turned Stephen Wright and nudged it over Martin Riley but sliced his shot over Mayebi’s goal when one-on-one.

Right down at the other end a long ball found Brett Ormerod, but he tamely shot right at Dave Carnell.

Every one of Hyde’s attacks seemed to pass through Ryan Crowther, who again performed well before being crowded out as Wrexham put two defenders on him.

He helped set up the second chance, which ended with Spencer again turning Wright all too easily and firing across goal but no one could get a telling touch.

On the half hour mark an attempted clearance from the home side hit the referee, but Crowther couldn’t quite capitalise and it went for a goal kick.

Ormerod then sliced a chance high and wide, before the lively Cieslewicz, who was surprisingly replaced just before the hour mark, forced a corner with a shot from distance that Carnell was equal to.

And then on half time Declan Walker received a booking for a blantant dive in the Hyde box.

At the start of the second half Alex Brown had a chance but delayed his shot, as Hyde retained the ascendancy.

On 56 minutes Wrexham broke away and it seemed a goal was certain, but Walker stalled on the ball and Hyde recovered well and cleared the danger.

Around the hour mark it became a real brutal encounter, with Wrexham committing foul after foul. Jay Harris was in particular lucky to stay on the pitch following two two footed lunges, for which he received only one yellow.

The break through came in the 78th minute when Cassidy stalled on the ball and Andy Morrell nicked it away before being felled. Glen Little converting clinically.

An equaliser should have been found right away, Spencer away skipping past challenges and unselfishly squaring for Phil Jevons on the edge of the box who fired over.

The main talking point came 4 minutes later; Spencer’s shot was spilled by Mayebi who went down theatrically after Tomsett followed it in. The ‘keeper then lept to his feet some seconds later, before charging 15 yards to headbutt the on-loan man. Suprisingly though only a yellow card was brandished, to everyone’s amazement.

Wrexham doubled the lead in injury time, Riley hitting it across goal and Harris finishing neatly.

It was then left to the ref to perform one last bad decision, giving Tomsett his marching orders for taking a free-kick too quickly. All the more puzzling considering the ball had floated over everybody and gone for a goal kick.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.