An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Friday 17th August 2012
Conference Premier

Hyde FC1Blinkhorn (55)
Luton Town2O'Donnell (68), Fleetwood (78)

Attendance: 1141

Hyde FC: David Carnell, Josh Brizell, Adam Griffin, Luke Ashworth, Robbie Williams, Alex Brown (Grant Spencer), Callum Byrne (Kelvin Lomax), Matthew Cassidy, Scott Spencer, Phil Jevons (David McNiven), Matthew Blinkhorn. Subs not used: Ashley Frith, Daniel Douglas-Pringle.

Luton Town: Tyler, Rowe-Turner, Taylor (Howells), Kovacs, Henry, Lawless, O’Donnell, Kasim (Gray), Shaw, Rendell, Fleetwood (Robinson). Unused subs: Brill, Beckwith

Hyde put in a brave performance against Luton but eventually succumbed to a late winner by Stuart Fleetwood on Friday evening.

In front of the TV cameras the Tigers played with lots and grit and determination and even took the lead through debutant Matty Blinkhorn before being pegged back by JJ O’Donnell and Fleetwood.

It was the league favourites who started the game on the front foot and they dominated possession in the opening 20 minutes and should have been 2 goals in front by that time, with new signing John Shaw missing a couple of gilt-edged opportunities – firstly putting a free header over the bar from 10 yards, before slashing wildly over after the ball fell at his feet in the box.

Hyde started to come back into the game and get a feel of the ball themselves, and Phil Jevons flashed one just past the post before moments later forcing a flying save out of Mark Tyler.

From the resultant corner the ball reached Robbie Williams whose poke from 6 yards was gathered on the line by Tyler.

Blinkhorn then flicked the ball just wide after good work by Adam Griffin and Callum Byrne on the left before Shaw again had probably the best chance just before half-time but missed his kick with the goal gaping after great work from Fleetwood on the left.

Hyde came flying out of the blocks in the second half and almost took the lead when Adam Griffin’s shot was blocked by Tyler’s legs before Josh Brizell fired just wide.

With Luton struggling to get out of their own half it was the Tigers who took the lead with a fantastic strike as Blinkhorn cut in from the right and curled it past Tyler to send Ewen Fields into delirium.

For a while Luton struggled to recover and Brizell’s deflected shot was well held by Tyler before the visitors did kick into gear and Hyde were fighting tooth and nail to stay in the lead.

Just as it looked as though they had weathered the storm, Luke Ashworth looked to be pushed but the referee waved played and the ball was played back to the lively O’Donnell who fired in, through a crowd of legs, past an unsighted Dave Carnell.

The tempo had been upped now and Hyde were struggling to get the ball and they conceded 9 minutes from time after Tyler had initially acted as sweeper. He found Ronnie Henry who passed it first time to Andre Gray who swept a gorgeous ball across the box for Fleetwood who tucked the ball home.

Hyde tried to respond but the Luton defence held firm to secure all 3 points which was hard on Hyde who left the field to a standing ovation.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.