An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 5th March 2012
Conference North

Hyde FC4Byrne (40), Spencer (65, 76), Gray (74)

Attendance: 528

Hyde FC: David Carnell, Andrew Pearson, Adam Griffin, Danny Hall, Gianluca Havern (Josh Brizell), David Birch (David Poole), Chris Worsley (Tunji Moses), Callum Byrne, Reece Gray, Scott Spencer, Ryan Crowther. Subs not used: Danny Broadbent, Godwin Abadaki.

Workington: Taylor, McLuckie, Rowntree, May, Wordsworth, Boyd, Green, Hewson (Main), J Wright (Scott), Arnison, A Wright (Hall). Unused subs: Andrews, David McNiven

Report by Luke Edwards

Hyde moved 10 points clear at the top of the table with this victory against a hard working but spirited Workington side.

Hyde named an unchanged team for the second game in a row and started the brighter with Ryan Crowther’s shot deflected just over.

The visitors from Cumbria did offer a rare threat on the break and Adam Griffin produced a superb block to deny Workington captain David Hewson.

It was the league leaders dominating possession without being able to break through a stubborn back line, but they went ahead seemingly out of nothing on 39 minutes when Callum Byrne picked up the ball 35 yards out, saw goalkeeper Aaron Taylor off his line, and hit a dipping shot in off the crossbar.

Just before half-time the visitors nearly equalised when Mark Boyd’s free-kick whistled just over.

Hyde really set about their visitors in the second half with Scott Spencer’s free-kick being well tipped over by Taylor before Spencer added a second goal, heading in Ryan Crowther’s wonderful cross.

Workington heads dropped and Hyde were rampant and added a third when Chris Worsley’s header fell for Reece Gray to caress home a third.

Spencer nearly got another when he cut inside and his shot hit the post, before he did add his second – and Hyde’s fourth – after latching onto a sensational through ball from Griffin and cooly beating Taylor.

In a rare Workington attack Gareth Arnison had a shot tipped over by a scrambling Carnell.

Spencer nearly had his hat-trick but Taylor made an unbelievable save after he got onto substitute David Poole’s cross.

Right at the end Carnell had to make a smart save from Workington substitute Stefan Scott.

The 1 – 1 draw between Nuneaton and Guiseley meant the crowd went home happy and the Tigers go marching on.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.