An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 20th August 2011
Conference North

Corby Town0
Hyde FC4Spencer (13, 50, 78, 90)

Attendance: 793

Corby Town: Mackenzie, McDonald, Mayo, Gordon, Gulliver, Ozmen, Hall, Towers, Rhead, Smith, Burgess. Subs: Ives, Jones, Hibbert, Malone, Spruce

Hyde FC: David Carnell, Joel Richardson, Andrew Pearson, Gianluca Havern, Brett Renshaw, David Birch, Chris Worsley, Callum Byrne (Joseph Evans), Matthew Berkeley (Danny Broadbent), Scott Spencer, Ryan Crowther. Subs not used: Rory Fallon, Mike Whitwell, Adam Birchall.

Report by Luke Edwards

Scott Spencer scored all 4 goals as Hyde blew away Corby to have their best start to a season in 27 years. Spencer will get all the plaudits but it was a superb team performance, especially in the 2nd half, that leave the Tigers in 2nd place behind arch rivals Stalybridge Celtic. Corby also had a 100% record so Hyde knew their first visit to the Steelman's new stadium would be a tough test. Gary Lowe named an unchanged line up and despite Corby having the bulk of possession early on it was Hyde who took the lead when Spencer scored his first of the afternoon on 13 minutes running onto a Ryan Crowther through ball and tucking it home despite Corby goalkeeper Chris Mackenzie getting a hand to it. Corby tried to find a response but the Hyde defence dealt with the threat of 6ft 8 forward Matt Rhead well. Rhead only had 1 chance of the game when he managed to put a free header way over the top, Andy Hall also had a fizzing shot just wide just before half time.

Hyde came out and controlled the 2nd half keeping the ball and making the home side chase it. It then became the Scott Spencer show as he picked himself up from being fouled to hit a 25 yard thunderbolt into the top corner with 5 minutes of the 2nd half being played. Crowther then fired a long range shot past the post before Hyde's task was made easier when home defender Delroy Gordon received a 2nd yellow card for rugby tackling the lively Crowther to the ground. Despite Corby forcing a succession of corners but it was Spencer who grabbed his 3rd with an early goal of the season contender, receiving the ball from a short corner he turned his man and hit a curling, dipping shot past the helpless Mackenzie. Jordan Smith fired over for a demorilised Corby before Spencer added yet another when he took aim from 25 yards and despite slipping the ball still shot in the top corner again giving Mackenzie no chance to cap off a fine all round display from the ex Everton and Oldham man. Hyde have the chance to go top, for at least 24 hours, if they beat Hinckley United at Ewen Fields on Monday night.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.