An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 11th March 2002
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Hyde United3Yeo (2 goals), Filson
Worksop Town3Whitehead, Holmes, Todd

Attendance: 425

Hyde United: David Felgate, Lee Madin, Matty Taylor, Dominic Crookes, Paul Ashwell, Peter Band (Tom Brookes), Steve Foster (Chris Young), Ben Obong (Martin Filson), Simon Yeo, Dale Hawtin, Lee Evans

Worksop Town: Holmshaw, Kotylo, Davis, Bradshaw, Varley, Holmes, Gavin Smith, Andy Smith, Whitehead, Townsend, Todd. Subs: Carl Smith, Gray, McPherson

The battle of the °Tigers ± produced a thrilling game at Ewen Fields in front of the biggest crowd since Burton Albion visited in October, with the Hyde Tigers fighting back twice and ultimately saving the game in the last minute, when all seemed lost, to secure a point. Whether it was a point gained or two lost remains to be seen but there can be no doubting the tremendous spirit showed in the second half after Hyde had gone two down.

David Nolan was injured, so Hyde brought back Steve Foster into the starting line-up, with Chris Young returning to the bench. Ben Obong limped off after 35 minutes to be replaced by Martin Filson.

Hyde just about shaded the exciting first half on possession, but it was Worksop who took the lead on 37 minutes through the influential Linden Whitehead. Foster gave the ball away in midfield and seconds later the ball was in the net. Worksop played some excellent football, especially in the last quarter of the pitch and kept the Hyde defence on their toes throughout. The nearest Hyde came was a left-foot screamer from Paul Ashwell, which skimmed the crossbar, with help from the impressive Jamie Holmshaw in the Worksop goal (according to Ashy) and not (according to the referee, Mr.Sims). A few close shaves at the end of the half (when we usually score), but disaster struck immediately on the restart as a poor clearance allowed former Droylsden player, Carl Holmes to slot home.

The Hyde Tigers stormed forward driven on by Peter Band and Ashwell and eventually Simon Yeo burst clear to slot past Holmshaw. Game on. Minutes later he again created something out of nothing, but this time hit the post and the ball bounced to safety. Simon was now playing superbly with all his old flair, assisted by the spritely Lee Madin, and with six minutes left, it was no surprise when Simon scored a great goal , hitting it over Holmshaw who was caught in no-mans land after another quick break. Nobody could have then predicted what would happen next. With Hyde storming forward for a deserved winner, a screamer of a shot, probably goalbound, hit Bandy in his nether regions. He went down in agony and Worksop broke clear. Mr. Sims, who had up to then, had a decent game failed to stop play (which he technically doesn't have to do) and Worksop failed to put the ball out. Unsporting, but again not in the laws. To compound the felonies, Andy Todd then struck the ball home. Bandy spent five minutes on the floor before being carried off and all he had to show for his evening endeavours was a booking for a rash first half challenge, and a fantastic bruise in a place which will take some explaining to his beloved Louise. With more than the ninety minutes now up, Hyde again stormed forward. Yeo crossed from the right and Filson, always the man for the occasion, headed home. With the clock now showing 95 minutes, Mr Sims indicated a further six to cover the various injuries and the blatant time-wasting that had gone on previously. Both sides wanted a winner but despite scares at either end, the game ended a creditable draw.

In normal circumstances, a great game and a fair result, but not when you are desperate for three points!

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.