An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 4th March 2002
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Hyde United3Evans (45), Madin (67), Yeo (84)
Burscough2Molloy (59), Knowles (85)

Attendance: 322

Hyde United: David Felgate, Lee Madin (Tom Brookes), Matty Taylor, Dominic Crookes, Paul Ashwell, Peter Band, Lee Evans, Ben Obong (Martin Filson), Simon Yeo, Dale Hawtin, David Nolan (Steve Foster)

Burscough: Taylor, Leahey, Stanton, Molyneux, Nolan, Molloy, Lawless, Knowles, Furlong, Dugdale, Bowen. Subs: Barlow, Alty, Mason

The Tigers bounced back from the disappointment of the Marine game to claim their first double of the season by defeating Burscough in a pulsating game. In true Hyde style for this season there was an anxious five minutes at the end as Burscough secured a disputed second goal but it's three points and that what matters.

Hyde left out Martin Filson, Steve Foster and Chris Young from Saturday's team and welcomed back Peter Band from suspension, and Dale Hawtin and Ben Obong from the bench.

The Tigers started brightly and could have had a penalty after five minutes when David Nolan was brought down. The referee waved play-on but minutes later Nolo was forced to limp off with a knee injury to be replaced by Foster. The severity of the injury will not be known for a couple of days but he could be out for two weeks.

After a pretty even first half with the Tigers just shading it, Lee Evans rifled home right on half -time. Within 14 minutes of the restart, Burscough were level after a defensive misplaced header allowed Tommy Molloy to score. Minutes later Peter Band rattled the crossbar after good work by Paul Ashwell. Another draw was looming until Lee Madin, on his home debut, showed great pace to burst clear and slot past their Matthew Taylor after 67 minutes. With six minutes to go, Filson with almost his first touch, flicked on for Simon Yeo to run clear and round the 'keeper and score number 3. Some breathing space at last but seconds later Felgate appeared to be fouled as Billy Knowles knocked the ball home. A desperate five minutes including three minutes of injury, but the Tigers held their cool and a victory was secured.

Just seven more wins needed now. The Worksop manager in the crowd probably left with plenty of food for thought, that we may do the same to them next Monday. We should have won at Worksop, so let's hope we can extract revenge.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.