An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 16th February 2002
Northern Premier League Premier Division

Hyde United0

Attendance: 1053

Barrow: Bishop, Shaw, Maxfield, Rogers, Hall, Anthony(Housham), Hume, Warren, Ellison (Gaughan), Bullimore(Doherty), Waters.

Hyde United: David Felgate, Tom Brookes (Lee Evans), Matty Taylor, Dominic Crookes, Paul Ashwell, Peter Band, Chris Young, Steve Foster, Simon Yeo, Martin Filson, David Nolan. Subs not used: Neil Critchley, Dale Hawtin.

The Tigers produced another dazzling display on a good surface at Holker Street and were desperately unlucky not to come away with three points. Once again a combination of poor finishing, some superb goalkeeping by Simon Bishop, and just downright bad luck prevented Hyde taking all the points. However a point away to one of the best teams in the league is still a great result.
The Tigers made one player change with Tom Brookes replacing Neil Critchley, but also reverted to 4-4-2 with Martin Filson taking a central defensive role, and Paul Ashwell moving to right back. The whole defence played brilliantly being well marshalled by the influential Filson. There was even time for Matty Taylor to journey over the halfway line at regular intervals and keep the Barrow defence busy.
The first half belonged entirely to Hyde. Chances came thick and fast and too many to mention, suffice to say the "Management Team" missed at least one each! Steve Foster and Simon Yeo were brilliant up front but just didn't have any luck when they needed it. Barrow struck a post early on but that was it as the Tigers camped in their half for the rest of the time.
Barrow made two half time substitutions and stepped up the pace in the second half with the backing of the large crowd. The defence held firm despite increasing pressure and when Barrow did get through they found David Felgate in fine form.A couple of long range efforts from the excellent Scott Maxfield kept Felgate interested. Dominic Crookes cleared off the line with three minutes to go but that was the nearest we came to conceding a goal. Barrow had done the same at the other end from a Filson header and in the last ten minutes Bishop produced superb saves to thwart Evans and Yeo as the Tigers pushed for victory.
A great display overall and we were very unfortunate not to come away with a win.
Harsh bookings for Peter Band and Filson, but otherwise referee Hay had a good game and wasn't influenced by the partisan crowd.
What next? Let's hope we can build on the outstanding performances of the last three games for our trip to the Autoquest Stadium a week on Wednesday. The defence now looks solid since the arrival of Dominic Crookes and David Felgate and we just need a bit of luck in front of goal to get some wins under our belt. Others around us keep scraping wins, but look out for Bishop Auckland who continue to slide down the table.(which incidently started when we beat them in November).

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.