An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 20th March 2010
Conference North

Corby Town2Mettam (5 pen, 84)
Hyde United0

Attendance: 287

Corby Town: Mark Osborn, Chis Hope, Paul Mayo, Liam Dolman, Phil Gulliver, Leon Hibbert, Gavin Strachan, Steve Towers, Jack Defty, Leon Mettam, Glen Walker. Subs: Phil Watt, Brett Solkhon, Jamie McGhee, Steve Diggin, Jason Lee.

Hyde United: Mark Halstead, Dean Stott (Lee Rick), Mark Lees, Scott McNiven, Chris Lynch, Nathan D'Laryea, Matty Burke, Ricky Mercer, Scott Mooney (David McNiven), Kevin Holsgrove (Glynn Hurst), Nathan Arnold. Subs not used: Ben Rowbotham, Michael Lea.

Hyde made their first ever visit to the Rockingham Triangle on Saturday but it was not a happy affair as they conceded early and late goals and could not find the net themselves. They had plenty of opportunities but didnít have the luck when they needed it, not helped by an ineffective set of officials.

Corbyís temporary ground is an athletics stadium with one stand separated from the playing area by a 12 lane running track. The playing surface wasnít the best but a new ground has been sanctioned to be built outside. With the fans so far away little atmosphere was generated and the wet weather made it a dreary afternoon.

It was hoped the Tigers would carry on where they left off on Tuesday but within 5 minutes they were a goal down. Leon Mettam burst through and fell over Mark Halstead. A penalty was awarded (very soft it has to be said) and Mettam picked himself up to score easily. Halstead escaped without censure or card, which probably said it all. Hyde were nearly caught out again seconds later but eventually got their passing game together and a Ricky Mercer header brought a great save out of Mark Osborn. From the resultant corner, Chris Lunchís effort was cleared off the line.

Hyde were desperately unlucky on the half hour mark as following a melee, the ball appeared to cross the line. If it hadnít, it was handball on the line, but both officials saw nothing. Just before the break, Nathan Arnold hit the bar with a long range effort.

Halstead was forced into a brilliant save just after the interval, but then it was all Hyde again. David Mc Niven had one scrambled off the line and then the Tigers should have had another penalty when Mercer was brought down as he entered the area. It seemed a straightforward decision but the assistant inextricably gave a Corby free kick. The referee looked surprised too and after a long discussion, the decision stood.

Neil Tolson could take no more and after a heated discussion with the aforesaid assistant was banished across the running track. He did have a point.

Just when the day couldnít get any worse, Mettam grabbed his second with minutes to go in a rare breakaway to rub salt into Hydeís wounds and complete a thoroughly miserable afternoon.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2024. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.