An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 22nd October 2001
Northern Premier League Challenge Cup Group Stage

Hyde United3Yeo (30, 38), Nolan (42)
Droylsden3Evans (65, 72), Richardson (79)

Hyde United: Steve Lyons, John Foster (Gavin Salmon), Matty Taylor, Paul Ashwell (Lee Matthews), Dale Hawtin, Peter Band, Neil Critchley, Neil Hall, Simon Yeo, Ben Obong (Steve Foster), David Nolan

Droylsden: Paul Phillips, Robert Trees, Mark Bradshaw, James Glendenning, Aeon Lattie, Carl Holmes, Iain Brunskill, Darran Connor, Nigel Evans, Andy Green, Danny Warner. Subs: Steve Porter, Lloyd Richardson, Robert Pell

This League Cup tie really was a game of two halves. Hyde could have been two up inside the first three minutes as firstly Simon Yeo headed goalwards from Neil Critchley's free kick only to be thwarted by an excellent save from Paul Phillips and from the resulting corner Matty Taylor had an effort cleared off the line. Droylsden could have snatched the lead after 20 minutes when Mark Bradshaw's free kick went through the wall but was palmed away by Steve Lyons in the Hyde goal. The Tigers went ahead on the half hour when Simon Yeo left Phillips stranded with a deft chip from the edge of the area which found the top corner of the goal. David Nolan then had a shot fizz past the post from the edge of the area as Hyde upped the pace. The second goal came on 38 minutes when Peter Band's throughball set Yeo away from the halfway line, he pace took him clear of the chasing defenders and he rounded Phillips with ease to grab his second of the game. It all looked to be over on 42 minutes when David Nolan rifled home a header from Neil Critchley's corner to put Hyde 3-0 ahead. It really could have become a rout on 50 minutes when Gavin Salmon powered in the area after a strong run but then came a weak finish that trickled past the post and wide. Hyde's decision to replace John Foster at half time soon came under question when Dale Hawtin limped off injured leaving Matty Taylor and Paul Ashwell as the only recognised defenders in a red shirt. Droylsden soon took advantage of this when Robert Pell's cross was headed home by Nigel Evans on 65 minutes. Seven minutes later it was 3-2 as Danny Warner got down the left and squared for Evans to grab a second from close range. Hyde could have then sealed the win on 78 minutes following a Crithcley corner as Yeo struck the crossbar with a powerful header. The equaliser inevitably came a minute later as Carl Holmes crossed for ex-Tiger Lloyd Richardson to volley home at the far post. Even then Hyde could have grabbed a winner in the final minute as Phillips pulled off a spectacular save to deny a Steve Foster 25 yard drive.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2024. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.