An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Tuesday 9th October 2001
Northern Premier League Challenge Cup Group Stage

Ossett Albion0
Hyde United1Matthews (13)

Attendance: 85

Ossett Albion: Andy Carney, Mark Lafferty, Chris Siddall, James Glover, Rob Dunderdale, Mick Carter, James O'Donnell, Paul Arkle, Danny Toronczak, Lee Bradley, Colin Williamson. Subs: Andy Dodsworth, Dave Watts, Darron Morris

Hyde United: Steve Lyons, John Foster, Gareth Liddle, Paul Ashwell, Dale Hawtin, Martin Doherty (Josh Howard), Gavin Salmon (Colin Hall), Neil Hall, Lee Matthews, Gareth Rowe (Rico Richards), Neil Critchley

David Nolan had a look at his squad players at Ossett Albion in this league cup tie and he must have been quietly impressed. Ossett went close early on when Paul Arkle played in James Glover but he had no power in his shot and Steven Lyons saved easily in the Hyde goal. Neil Critchley went close for the Tigers with a free kick just wide of the post. Hyde went ahead on 13 minutes when a second Critchley free kick was chipped into the box and Lee Matthews finished off well giving Andy Carney in the Albion goal no chance. Gavin Salmon then had a chance when he broke from halfway but Carney raced out to take the ball at the strikers feet. Salmon again caused problems as he raced down the right flank and put in a great ball for Matthews but Carney made an excellent save at close range. Ossett got back into the game as the half wore on and Danny Toronczak got behind Gareth Liddle but Lyons did well and saved with his legs. James O'Donnell had Lyons scrambling across his goal but his curling effort didn't come back enough to worry the goalkeeper too much. On the stroke of half time Hyde nearly made it two as Salmon passed the ball into the area and Albion's Andy Dodsweorth hit his own crossbar with a wild clearance. After the break both sides again had chances, for Albion O'Donnell shot through a crowd of players and Lyons again made a good save. On 59 minutes Neil Critchley let fly from the edge of the area but Carney palmed the ball away. Four minutes later a long free kick was met by the head of Gavin Salmon but his header drifted past the post and wide. On 69 minutes Gareth Rowe had a shot cleared off the line following a corner as Hyde looked to put the result beyond doubt. Ossett came back though and Darron Morris forced Lyons into a great save to stop his shot from the edge of the area. With fifteen minutes left Josh Howard played in Rico Richards but Critchley took the ball off the toes of the substitute and then proceeded to waste what was an excellent opportunity. On 79 minutes Howard and Richards combined to play in Gavin Salmon who forced Carney into a great one handed stop. With five minutes left Toronczak crossed from the right for Ossett but Morris headed wide. Hyde held on to claim their first clean sheet of the season and their second victory.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2024. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.