An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 19th September 2009
Conference North

Hyde United2McNiven (78, 82 pen)
Fleetwood Town1Wilde (80)

Attendance: 501

Hyde United: Matt Convey, Lincoln Adams, Mark Lees, Scott McNiven, Ashley Eastham, Nathan D'Laryea, Lee Rick, Tom Manship, David McNiven, Kevin Holsgrove (Scott Mooney), Nathan Arnold. Subs not used: Dean Stott, Aiden Kirkbride, Ben Rowbotham, Neil Tolson.

Fleetwood Town: Hurst, Beeley, Wright, Taylor, McNulty, Jorgenson, Connors, Mulligan, Wilde, Seddon, Mullen. Subs: Warlow (for Seddon), Cahill (for Mullen), McGuire, Pond (for Connors), Dodgson.

All the goal action in this pulsating game came in the last twelve minutes. First David McNiven shot Hyde ahead on seventy eight minutes but Hyde's joy was shortlived as two minutes later, on loan 'keeper Matthew Convey could not hold on to a close range shot and Michael Wilde scrambled home the rebound. However Convey had already made a number of good saves and was unlucky with the goal.

Hyde responded also immediately and after some neat build up play, the ball was played through to McNiven, who was brought down by Michael Taylor in the area. A definite penalty and McNiven made no mistake from the spot.

Hyde came into the game on a run of six matches without a win, whilst Fleetwood were on the crest of wave and it was therefore no surprise that the first half belonged to the visitors. They could have gone ahead as early as the first minute when Jamie Milligan's free kick struck the outside of a post. Wilde then hit the bar with a looping header and as the ball dropped into the six yard box, Gareth Seddon blasted the ball over.

The ever popular Seddon was returning to Hyde for the first time since being transferred but it turned out to be a disappointing afternoon for the striker as he was substitued on the hour mark.

After the break, Hyde introduced Scott Mooney upfront and his presence ultimately determined the fate of the game. His constant running caused the Fleetwood defence problems and he helped create the first goal. Thomas Cahill had only been on the field a minute when he gave the ball away on the halfway line. The ball was picked up by McNiven who exchanged passes with Mooney before riflling the ball home from the edge of the area.

It was nothing less than Hyde deserved as they had already gone close through Mooney and Lee Rick. Although Fleetwood responded immediately, the home side continued to press forward and after going in front again, never looked like surrendering their lead. In fact in the closing stages McNiven and Mooney both went close as Hyde throughly deserved their victory.

Loanee Matt Convey collects a cross - Pic: Don Goodwin
David McNiven (out of shot) fires home the penalty winner - Pic: Don Goodwin

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2022. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.